Bay Area Thrash

But isn't that comparable to Mercyful Fate being called Black Metal in the mid-80s?
Not really. To me, that 1st Metal Church album is a good defintion of early thrash. The earliest thrash song that I can think of is Jaguar's Axe Crazy. But if you compare that to anything on REIGN IN BLOOD, it doesn't sound like it's in the same category.

Electric Savage said:
As for other Bay Area bands:

Anvil Chorus
Metal Church (founded in S.F.)
Ulysses Siren (the best Bay Area thrash act you've never heard!!!!)

Did Anvil Chorus every release anything besides demos? Were they ever on any comps or have the demos been released on CD? Just wondering because I see this band mentioned alot when the subject of Bay Area thrash comes up. I believe a member or 2 went on to be in Heathen didn't they?

thanks Electric Savage! I'm now downloading Anvil Chorus aswell as

DrillSergeant said:
Hey people, hold on for a second! Could you please stop throwing in everything at once? This started out to be about Bay Area Thrash, then it turned into an "in the vein of..."-thread, afterwards it was about Thrash in general (Kreator and Destruction don't sound very much like the Bay Area, right?) and now you come up with the "founded in..."-label! Metal Church are from Seattle as far as I know and you can hardly call them Thrash, don't you agree? So could someone please get things straight again - Griffin, you started this, so how about you?

hehe well, as I said "bands like", my aim was to find more thrash bands like the bay area thrash bands. It doens't specificly need to be though. Anything you might say sounds like it, or has influences, whatever. I don't mean to talk about thrash in general. Old school thrash more like.
'part from that, I think Electric Savage sure does have a point about Metal Church. Thrash from back than isn't the same thrash as well, Slayer's for instance. Metal Church kick ass. Thanks anyway, I'll keep on searching!

Btw, has anyone heard from Gaschamber? (since I haven't?)

Electric Savage said:
Are you talking the obscure San Francisco ASSASSIN that existed in 1983 that put out the "Blitzed Resistance" demo? If you are, I'm glad that the word has spread!

As for other Bay Area bands:

Anvil Chorus
Metal Church (founded in S.F.)
Ulysses Siren (the best Bay Area thrash act you've never heard!!!!)
Ulysses Siren kicks ass!

Did Anvil Chorus every release anything besides demos? Were they ever on any comps or have the demos been released on CD? Just wondering because I see this band mentioned alot when the subject of Bay Area thrash comes up. I believe a member or 2 went on to be in Heathen didn't they?
They released one single called "Blondes In Black" and that was it. There are plans to release the early demos officially and are in the process of remastering them now. Anvil Chorus is definately not thrash, it's a lot more progressive. They were however, a big part of the Bay Area scene. Doug Piercy went on to Heathen, but before that, he and Thaen Rasmussen went on to CONTROL, a great punkish thrash band that I mentioned earlier in this thread. BTW... there are plans for a future release.

MEGADETH502 said:
uh, Armored Saint?
Armored Saint was massive in their heyday. When they did their first
bay area show in years, it was a little sad that more people didnt show up.
Bush never should have joined Anthrax. Not that Anthrax isn't good, but
Bush was just made for Armored Saint.

-OfficerNice.