Beat detective settings for fast double bass

darthjujuu

Nov 17, 2008
Boston
www.myspace.com
for a breakdowny part or straight 16ths... do you guys find yourselves more often than not tabbing to transient and dicing up fancy/fast kick parts by hand? or can you sometimes still get away with the auto-region-slice 'n dicer?

i'm also thinking very short trigger pad and no crossfades, do you guys crossfade down there? or does it hafta reach a certain "no crossfade" tempo to the point where it's so fast you can't even crossfade without it becoming noticable? thus far i always just end up frustrated and convert it to MIDI, anyway. haha.

normally it goes with the rest of the stuff for me.. 10 ms pad, 5-7 ms fade. of course check through....
Bds conform has become more flakey since 8.
now you have to select from the begining of a bar TO the begining of a bar...

If you're doing stuff with fast kick and a sloppy drummer, cut it up on the cymbals / snare / toms and quantize. Replace the kick with a sample and then edit it separately. As long as you're cutting enough bottom out of the OH it sounds better since you're not cutting up cymbal decays on 16th notes.

If you're doing stuff with fast kick and a sloppy drummer, cut it up on the cymbals / snare / toms and quantize. Replace the kick with a sample and then edit it separately. As long as you're cutting enough bottom out of the OH it sounds better since you're not cutting up cymbal decays on 16th notes.

yar i never ever dice up the rest of the kit along with the kick. i got it pretty dampened, it doesn't generally bleed much at all. like i said i usually end up just converting to MIDI anyway, haha. i just feel like i should at SOME point be able to quantize a natural kick...but i s'pose if someones doing fancy/fast double bass it'll want to be replaced anyway in just about any scenario.