Important drum editing quantization tip for those of you using Reaper...

No problem! :D

Well generally speaking, so long as the drummer can get his hands in time to the click, you shouldn't really have to quantize the overheads. Tracking drums with the mindset of quantizing later will really help too. Ie. "I can see that this snare hit is off just a tiny bit but your cymbals are bang on time, we'll quantize the snare later!"

You are right. And if he cant put even the overheads in time we can not call him drummer!lol

Well generally speaking, so long as the drummer can get his hands in time to the click, you shouldn't really have to quantize the overheads. Tracking drums with the mindset of quantizing later will really help too. Ie. "I can see that this snare hit is off just a tiny bit but your cymbals are bang on time, we'll quantize the snare later!"

So if the cymbals are on time, but the snare needs to quantized, then what about the snare sound coming through in the OH mics? Won't that be off if you only quantize the snare mic and not the OH mics?

So if the cymbals are on time, but the snare needs to quantized, then what about the snare sound coming through in the OH mics? Won't that be off if you only quantize the snare mic and not the OH mics?

Not if you group ALL of the drum tracks!

Edit: In other words, the snare gets quantized in all of the tracks, not just its own.

Thanks for the tutorial. Following along with the example session, things sounded better but still not right. Also I couldn't open the second session because the files were missing.
Cutting off the 1 beat at the start and snapping everything to the start makes things easier on my brain.
Instead of cutting snare, quantize x2, kick, quantize x2. Try cutting kick and snare tracks, then quantize 2x.

Is it just me or is navigating the GUI of Reaper a really clumsy experience? I want to scroll down and it zooms in/out is the first thing to annoy me today.

How much customizing of key commands have you done?

Thanks for the tutorial. Following along with the example session, things sounded better but still not right. Also I couldn't open the second session because the files were missing.
Cutting off the 1 beat at the start and snapping everything to the start makes things easier on my brain.
Instead of cutting snare, quantize x2, kick, quantize x2. Try cutting kick and snare tracks, then quantize 2x.

Is it just me or is navigating the GUI of Reaper a really clumsy experience? I want to scroll down and it zooms in/out is the first thing to annoy me today.

How much customizing of key commands have you done?

Hey Jon,
Yeah, I just did the multiple quantize for the sake of the tutorial in that once you've chopped the snare and quantized it you can then judge if you want to quantize the kick too.
Yes, I find the GUI of Reaper to be really annoying too - I much prefer doing this kinda work in Pro-Tools (still gotta get to grips fully with Beat Detective).
The Smart Tool in Pro-Tools just kills compared to editing in Reaper.
I wrote the above tutorial here in work in which I just used the stock Reaper with no customisations, best to look on the Reaper forums or ask in the IRC channel if there's certain actions you're looking to map to keyboard shortcuts to help you work faster. I only have a few but I'm gradually moving over to Pro-Tools so I'm not that worried really.

EDIT: Mind fixing your sig? I'm not sure if that's what's placing the horizontal scroll on my browser...Thanks!

Potentially this can be really fast.

Some things holding it back right now.
clicking one "region" that is grouped does not select all grouped tracks for the same time selection, wtf not!?
Auto crossfades overlap transient. Where to turn that off? If I turn that off can I batch fade?

Potentially this can be really fast.

Some things holding it back right now.
clicking one "region" that is grouped does not select all grouped tracks for the same time selection, wtf not!?
Yes, very annoying! Or when you tab to transient and split, you then gotta click the new region after the split before you can tab to it. Basically means I've to zoom right into certain parts, then back out to a comfortable level.
Auto crossfades overlap transient. Where to turn that off? If I turn that off can I batch fade?
I haven't had the auto-crossfades kill my transients, is this what is happening to you?

Thanks for the sig fix BTW! :)

tran.jpg

I have a question about this : how would you make this work with dynamic splitting instead of Tab/S ? Because I'm using the reaper dynamic split ability, but this seem to only apply to one track, or if you apply it to a group of track, each track is dynamic splitted independently. What I would like to do, is to dynamic split all the tracks to the kick or snare, so that they are all split at the same position, and then use the quantization settings this thread is about. How do ?

I have a question about this : how would you make this work with dynamic splitting instead of Tab/S ? Because I'm using the reaper dynamic split ability, but this seem to only apply to one track, or if you apply it to a group of track, each track is dynamic splitted independently. What I would like to do, is to dynamic split all the tracks to the kick or snare, so that they are all split at the same position, and then use the quantization settings this thread is about. How do ?

Group all your tracks and make sure you have "Split grouped items at times of selected item splits" checked off in the Dynamic Split window.

:zombie: I must be tired of not having found this box ! Thank you Adam, now it's pure efficiency. I just need to check it in real situation and it's okay :)

This method still working in new versions of Reaper? I tried it this morning and got some weird stuff like Reaper straight up making snare hits where there weren't snare hits before.

This method still working in new versions of Reaper? I tried it this morning and got some weird stuff like Reaper straight up making snare hits where there weren't snare hits before.

Myself and Adam have both moved to Pro-Tools since this was written, so unfortunately I can't test this for you.
Perhaps someone else can test this?