Beat Detective Tutorial Video Part One is Here!!

Video was pretty cool, I actually like how it was not edited and you left all the mistakes that happened during the process....I usually trust pro tools when it says capture selection so now im going to look out for that, and I dont think I always have the selection on the blue lines so im sure thats why it seems to always cut my audio to the left of my current selection and I have to redo shit sometimes.....I found the video helpful. Thanks. I look forward to seeing more.

I usually use collective mode though.......Any reason why you didnt use it?

Video was pretty cool, I actually like how it was not edited and you left all the mistakes that happened during the process....I usually trust pro tools when it says capture selection so now im going to look out for that, and I dont think I always have the selection on the blue lines so im sure thats why it seems to always cut my audio to the left of my current selection and I have to redo shit sometimes.....I found the video helpful. Thanks. I look forward to seeing more.

I usually use collective mode though.......Any reason why you didnt use it?

not really.. this just works for me; find it a little quicker and is doing much the same thing, ps yeah i deliberatly left it unedited and left my random mutterings in there so you could see how you gotta work with Bd it was deliberate.. honest ;)

not really.. this just works for me; find it a little quicker and is doing much the same thing, ps yeah i deliberatly left it unedited and left my random mutterings in there so you could see how you gotta work with Bd it was deliberate.. honest ;)

I much prefer the unedited tutorials personally. It seems more realistic and you learn how to deal with issues that arise during the process. Looking forward to the next video!

this is EPIC.

i have seen all the fucking videos and dvds that exist about BD (seriously ALL OF THEM)
and this is the best i´ve ever seen.

you are now my new favorite person ever. :3

cant wait for the next one >.<

is there any section of that song with triplets?

Cool tutorial, I don't agree with your approach though, it seems pretty awkward and slow :/... Few things, when you shifted the whole section earlier and were worried that it wasn't on the grid anymore, you didn't have to trim the start. You could have just made your selection on the grid lines, even if the audio isn't on the grid lines. Also, the hand with the arrow isn't "Add new trigger", it's "Promote Trigger". To add a trigger you just click without holding any modifier keys.

There also seems to be a lot of guess work and fudging around with things, like you have no idea what BD is going to do until afterwords and then you are troubleshooting to try and figure out what went wrong... If you enable "Show Trigger Times" it makes it really simple to see what is going on before you hit conform and also makes it obvious why it isn't catching certain triggers and stuff.

Either way, sorry to be so critical, it's still a great tutorial and thanks for putting so much time into it, will help a lot of people for sure. I might make a tutorial of the "Murphy Method" that I use, it's a LOT different to your approach so maybe it's worth having a video for. Cheers dude!

Cool tutorial, I don't agree with your approach though, it seems pretty awkward and slow :/... Few things, when you shifted the whole section earlier and were worried that it wasn't on the grid anymore, you didn't have to trim the start. You could have just made your selection on the grid lines, even if the audio isn't on the grid lines. Also, the hand with the arrow isn't "Add new trigger", it's "Promote Trigger". To add a trigger you just click without holding any modifier keys.

There also seems to be a lot of guess work and fudging around with things, like you have no idea what BD is going to do until afterwords and then you are troubleshooting to try and figure out what went wrong... If you enable "Show Trigger Times" it makes it really simple to see what is going on before you hit conform and also makes it obvious why it isn't catching certain triggers and stuff.

Either way, sorry to be so critical, it's still a great tutorial and thanks for putting so much time into it, will help a lot of people for sure. I might make a tutorial of the "Murphy Method" that I use, it's a LOT different to your approach so maybe it's worth having a video for. Cheers dude!

you utter bastard :loco: i jest
lol i realise that i didn't do things in perhaps the quickest way, and somethings i allowed to be fudged to show what can happen if you're not careful. Tbh i had no script for this and recorded the vid in an hour on a sunday afternoon. Its rare i get time to do stuff like this,(videos) so what i said/did was essentially my thought process at times! There aint any guesswork, believe you me.
but like i said its just my way of working.

But seriously (like phil collins) The feedback is much appreciated. i could've gone further with this video, but wanted to stop before i went to far without feedback off you guys.

this is EPIC.

i have seen all the fucking videos and dvds that exist about BD (seriously ALL OF THEM)
and this is the best i´ve ever seen.

you are now my new favorite person ever. :3

cant wait for the next one >.<

is there any section of that song with triplets?

pretty sure there is.
triplets tempo changes and other fun things

Yeah, 'staged' editing videos defeat the entire purpose.

Good work man. I can't see it because it's refusing to stream properly on my end, but I bet it's insightful.

you should be able to download it.

also just realised the audio is out of sync in places... Blame imovie.
i'll fix it when i get five minutes

Beat Detective was way better in 7, never used to do all the stuff that tripped you up in the tutorial. Drum recordings sound sweet!

Beat Detective was way better in 7, never used to do all the stuff that tripped you up in the tutorial. Drum recordings sound sweet!

glad someone else thinks that!!
i mentioned the things that through me about capture selection to Digi on the phone.

Cool video. Taking the time to do this is definitely appreciated. With all the quick keys you were throwing around I was surprised you were changing the grid value manually instead of using Cntrl+Opt+Plus/Minus. That's the only thing that tripped me up, haha.

Cool video. Taking the time to do this is definitely appreciated. With all the quick keys you were throwing around I was surprised you were changing the grid value manually instead of using Cntrl+Opt+Plus/Minus. That's the only thing that tripped me up, haha.

ooh cheers