BEAUTIFUL SIN - THE UNEXPECTED

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
We talked about this band sometime late last year, so has anyone checked them out since then? I recently have and I'm really enjoying what I'm hearing. The band is fronted by a female with a soulful/gritty voice along with former members of Masterplan and Jorn Viggo of Pagans Mind. The music has a Masterplan vibe to it for sure, especially the drums, but is best described as melodic metal. If you dig Masterplan's debut, then you should get something out of Beautiful Sin's - The Unexpected. I highly recommend it. :headbang:

The musicianship is top-notch, but i to find it not the memorable, its really just a so-so release. I got it in an order with Tomorrow's Eve, and basically TE have gotten 10 times the play.

I've given it a few listens and thus far I don't really care for it. I'm not really a big Masterplan fan so maybe that's it.

I thought it was pretty solid overall, but it got pushed onto the back burner and overshadowed by a lot of other stuff. I concur with those that said it's just not all that memorable overall.

Britt

...it's refreshing to hear a female sing in a style other than opera.

then try Vainglory on for size! :kickass:

banner1.jpg

The musicianship is top-notch, but i to find it not the memorable, its really just a so-so release. I got it in an order with Tomorrow's Eve, and basically TE have gotten 10 times the play.

Funny how tastes differ...While I do enjoy the TE, the Beautiful Sin disc got at least 10 times more listens than the TE...Very solid album.

I'll check them out. :kickass:

You should also check out Benedictum (here or here) if you're looking for heavier female vocals. Their singer used to be the singer for a Dio cover band and their first album really kicks ass IMO.

I like Beautiful Sin a lot. Jorn Viggo isn't the only Pagan's Mind member in Beautiful Sin though. Their line-up also includes Steinar Krokmo (Pagan's Mind, and some of you may also remember him as Jorn's bass player at last year's ProgPower). The Masterplan/ex-Helloween member involved is Uli Kusch. That, to me, makes for a pretty impresive line-up. I'm expecting (and hoping for) great things to come from this band. :headbang:

You should also check out Benedictum (here or here) if you're looking for heavier female vocals. Their singer used to be the singer for a Dio cover band and their first album really kicks ass IMO.

I like Beautiful Sin a lot. Jorn Viggo isn't the only Pagan's Mind member in Beautiful Sin though. Their line-up also includes Steinar Krokmo (Pagan's Mind, and some of you may also remember him as Jorn's bass player at last year's ProgPower). The Masterplan/ex-Helloween member involved is Uli Kusch. That, to me, makes for a pretty impresive line-up. I'm expecting (and hoping for) great things to come from this band. :headbang:

I've been meaning to check Benedictum out simply due to people's recommendations here. I didn't realize they're a female lead band though. :kickass:

I think Beautiful Sin's Unexpected was one of the best debuts this year. I think you definitely have to at least appreciate Masterplan though. The Masterplan influence is all over this album. As i'm seeing from the beginning of this thread, almost everyone seems to be in agreeance that this female vocalist has a nice smokey quality to her voice that I think is a great alternative to the more elegant style in other bands. I think a band's best strength lies in their second album, so we'll have to see what else they can deliver. The only complaint I have is that they shouldn't of started the album with a pseudo cover of Helloween's Departed Sun. It should have been a bonus track or something. Its not bad, just very weird to start this album off like this. My favorites are: This Is Not The Original Dream, Spark of Ignition, Take Me Home, and the amazing Metalwaves.

As i'm seeing from the beginning of this thread, almost everyone seems to be in agreeance that this female vocalist has a nice smokey quality to her voice that I think is a great alternative to the more elegant style in other bands.

I totally agree. I actually prefer female vocalist with that rougher, more unique sound to their voices.
Anyone know of any more female lead bands that fit this catagory?

I'm not talking about rough vocals in death metal bands like Arch Enemy. I'm talking more along the lines of Beautiful Sin, Benedictum and Doro. I'm always looking for more metal of this type, but usually when I go looking for female fronted bands, I find more of the stuff like Epica and After Forever. Nothing wrong with that, but if I could find more bands like Beautiful Sin, I'd be a very happy camper.

I totally agree. I actually prefer female vocalist with that rougher, more unique sound to their voices.

I'm not talking about rough vocals in death metal bands like Arch Enemy. I'm talking more along the lines of Beautiful Sin, Benedictum and Doro. I'm always looking for more metal of this type, but usually when I go looking for female fronted bands, I find more of the stuff like Epica and After Forever. Nothing wrong with that, but if I could find more bands like Beautiful Sin, I'd be a very happy camper.

If you like that female vocal style check out Chastain or any of his related projects. My personal fave vocalist he had was Leather Leone who was on Ruler of the Wasteland, Voice of the Cult, 7th Of Never, and a few more I can't think of. My favorite was Ruler of the Wasteland which, correct if i'm wrong, isn't even pressed on CD. Its ashame too cause it is Chastain's finest work I think. She is more of a female version of Dio than Doro is IMO, if you want a good representation of her voice.

Another band that has a similar vocalist is Sinergy. A lot of people don't seem to like 'em, and their albums are very short, but I think overall an excellent band. Kim Goss has more of that smokey feel to her voice as well. She has a very 80's metal vocal style. They're more in the power metal vein than Chastain as well..especially considering that this is/was(I don't even think he knows anymore) Alexi Laiho's side project. Check 'em out if you already haven't though..most of their albums(they had three) are insanely cheap on music and ebay sites. I'm sure you can nab all three for under $10.

Check out this new band from Sweden called TRIOSPHERE, this lady will knock your socks off.

Check out Sass Jordan's first two releases. She's been around the music scene since the early 90's, but I think you'll dig her. :headbang: