Beauvais fiasco epilogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realise that deleting the other post was probably necessary as Katatonia never had the opportunity to express their side of the story at the time.

Cerulean said:
My 2 cents on all this: I support Katatonia in their decision for one single reason: if they had played, the promoter would've won this 'battle', and he would realise all too well that he actually got away with it. This means that he'd use these dirty tricks in many years to come, because it would work anyway.
Katatonia did the right thing by boycotting the promoter's festival this way.
Of course it's very sad for the fans, and I'm sure everyone feels sorry for them, but it's exactly the fans that should be the FIRST ones to understand Katatonia's decision and support them.
I disagree, the message would have been just the same if they would have played and make a statement to/about the promotor, spread the guy's name as being unreliable and his reputation is finished before long.

There's one promotor and 250 fans, why not give the 250 fans what they payed and craved for (and have a good time yourself, as a band), that's not 'favouring' or giving in to the promotor, he'll get what's coming to him either way. They're not hurting him considerably more or making a stronger statement by not playing, it's only hurting the fans and the band's credibility.

And stating one's opinion in a straight manner is something else than intending to offend.

Hey All,

I just want to come back to this Beauvais situation with a few more explanations from the french side !!! Honnestly the situation over there was simply incredible. I'm a promoter myself, I also work for a metal label here and I have a band myself... On this week I had 3 bands scheduled on this festival + mine. You can't imagine something like what happened this last week end. For what I'm concerned I finally get the money for my whole bands but the situation Katatonia team reached was the same for many other bands such as Anathema and more. Honnestly I think it's not a matter if you play for your fans or for the money. There are situations you should not have to handle and this was one. As far as I'm concerned I totally agree with them and that's what I did with my band too (Dornfall)... Hopefully I'm just one hour by car from Beauvais. Of course I know that some bands finally played without being sure they will be paid. It's just a matter of choice, in these situations there are only bad choices. Just know that on the first day, so friday only 3 bands played instead of 7. So I think it's just hard to make a statement like: they should have played or their fans or not. They had to take a decision and take it very quick and that's what they did.

Hi.
I just want to say that I respect very much for the Katatonias decision not to play in that kind of situation. It would be easier to just play and forget, but.
I don't know why it is so important to some people forgive and trust endlessly to this kind of french promoter asshole. It is good that some people still have some self-respect and have guts to stop it when enough lies is enough.

And other thing. I really don't understand these french "fans" who immediately start to blame the band. This is excellent band and I support them so all you idiots go f***yourself. If I were in Katatonia (luckily for everyone I'm not) I would have no interest to play in the future to this kind of short viewed and tempered group.

They didn't blame the band, everyone knows it's the promotor's fault. The fans have every right to be disappointed if they have travelled a long distance to see the band only to find they're not playing.

Of course I know the band didn't take the decision just like that, I'm sure they considered it very carefully, fully aware of the disappointment they would inevitably cause towards the fans. But I'm simply convinced that in the end the band would have gained more from playing the gig, than from not playing.

Attanas said:
And other thing. I really don't understand these french "fans" who immediately start to blame the band. This is excellent band and I support them so all you idiots go f***yourself. If I were in Katatonia (luckily for everyone I'm not) I would have no interest to play in the future to this kind of short viewed and tempered group.

That's exactly why the former threads have been closed, Dude...sharing your opinion, as we all do, shouldn't prevent yourself from still being polite and respectfull of everybody's point of view..

Attanas said:
Hi.
I just want to say that I respect very much for the Katatonias decision not to play in that kind of situation. It would be easier to just play and forget, but.
I don't know why it is so important to some people forgive and trust endlessly to this kind of french promoter asshole. It is good that some people still have some self-respect and have guts to stop it when enough lies is enough.

Just learn to read and find a line where I have shown disrespect toward Katatonia. Then I'm 29, I have been listening to Katatonia since I'm 17 or so, I am on this board since 2001, so I hope everyone here, including Katatonia guys, have understood that I have a profound respect for this band.

Attanas said:
Hi.

dude, change your attitude, or leave!!

Status
Not open for further replies.