Total fiasco for Katatonia

Status
Not open for further replies.

the-lull

discouraged one
May 25, 2001
France
www.thelull.fr.fm
I'm back from Beauvais where Katatonia was supposed to perform yesterday evening.
Let's explain why it has turned to an enormous disillution.
The bands that were invited to this festival were 3 french bands+ocean size++novembre+katatonia+anathema. After a 250 km road trip, I arrived on the location of the gig. I was surprised by the low affluence ( 400 people for a 4 400 concert c hall ?) that was waiting on the car park for such a programming with quality bands.
Once in the concert hall, a rumour grew about Katatonia & Novembre having left the place by car, cause the organizers could not pay them before the show, only being able to give them a promise about the amount of money being paid later (I totally agree that these organizers just SUCK and I don't think they will be credible for more shows in the future, fuck them all).
I was totally angry about that situation. Ocean Size and Anathema shows were uncertain.
After the 3 french bands played their gig, Ocean Size guys entered the stage explaining the situation to the audience for the first time publicly. They waited for the audience to show their discontent to the oragnizers, but apart from yelling after them, I don't see what we were able to do in that situation, Having paid 3o euros to attend this show, I was as angry as them not to be able to see Katatonia in France for the fourth time of my life due to shitty organisation reasons.
Ocean Size finally played their gig and received an ovation from the audience who was conscious that the guys were actually playing for free, just to be honest with the people who came here.
The Anathema french tour promoter then came on the stage to explain Anathema was going to play the show anyway, even though he thought they won't be paid for that. And, oh my god :worship:, Their show was just AWESOME. The totality of the audience was aware to share something unique. These guys just playing a hour and a half show just for the pleasure of sharing something with the audience. they received a non stopping ovation from core fans and they truly deserved it according to me. They have proved they were true music lovers and that they had a total respect for their fans.

Now that's the point. Respect for the fans. There were guys in the audience that came from 700 kms or even England to attend the Katatonia show. I perfecty understand that this situation (not being paid for playing) is unbearable for a band. Now I consider that when you're a musician who has decided to play gigs, the main reason for doing this should be pleasure to play for your fans, and not earning money out of this. I know it is a part of the business to be paid for playing. But I can't help being sincerely disappointed by Katatonia attitude. When I read on Blakkheim's page on the Katatonia website that his "…worst Katatonia moment' is "A constant moment - the music business.", I think that the best way to prove that was to play that gig anyway, with explanations to the audience.
The people who were there were not responsible for the catastrophic work(!) of the organizers of the venue. I suppose that this decision was made in order to bother the organizers, but I don't think they were really embarassed by this decision (they didn't even have the respect to get on the stage and explaining clearly the situation, and to apologize for this, wankers...).
You, Katatonia members were cheated by the guy, but you cheated your fans much more. That's my point of view, sorry for that.
Now, please discuss it...

well... I agree with you dude. If this situation had happen like... 10 years ago I am sure the guys could play:)

Oh what a story... it somehow makes me sad to read this... sad for the fans ... as I know how I was freaking out before last friday and am still freaking out concerning next thursday... and how I had to travel hours and hours by train through the hot burning sun and spending my whole money of two month ... just to see Katatonia.
If this had happened to me I'd killed the organizer and fainted badly.
I don't want to protect the band because I think I have to or something like that ... but who knows, maybe there have been some more things than just not getting their money... to leave the venue was a strange decision anyway.
Maybe the french fans get an explanation from the band when their back home ... ...

i agree because i feel that hard core fans rarely get the respect they deserve from bands and for katatonia to not even make an apology for this is unbelievable.

However, i understand completely why they didn't play. What kind of message does it send to promotors if you play the gig regardless? if they did play they would probably start being fucked over all the time because promoters know they are loyal to their fans and will play anyway.

An explanation and/or apology was definately in order though.

Cliche

We were there too (me and my friend), and were also disappointed not to see Katatonia and Novembre, especially since this trip to Beauvais was a birthday present for my friend. If Anathema had not played either, I don't imagine how it would have turned. I also understand that not being paid is not honest. But not seeing the band that has helped you live for ten years, the band that's really important for you, is hard too...

I understand that you are disappointed but you guys should not be disappointed at Katatonia for not getting up on the stage because there may be other reasons you don't know. You heard about the money issue but who knows what happened more back there with the orginazator and stuff...

m0rtis said:
I understand that you are disappointed but you guys should not be disappointed at Katatonia for not getting up on the stage because there may be other reasons you don't know. You heard about the money issue but who knows what happened more back there with the orginazator and stuff...
That's right, you don't know the whole story, but I agree fully that if the only reason for not playing was the money, then I'm also a bit disappionted by their attitude. They should take a look at Anathema, a prime example of how a band should treat their fans, this is not the first story I heard about Anathema's loyalty, respect and kindness to their fans.

But let's wait till we hear Kata's side of the story.

Dude that's fuckin disappointing!!!Sorry for you...I don't think the problem is only the money I think there must have been an argument or sth. like that...But if not they must have got on the stage just for the sake of the die-hard fans that always have put their blood into Katatonia and spent their hard earned money to them...That's the view of ours-fans..But if we look the other way,getting back from a gig unpaid and broke,man that's also shit!But an explanation would be good though...

I think it would have been cool if Hammerfall were in town. But none of the band members knew each other were there. Then all of a sudden they see each other on one street...lock eyes....and form one huge fucking TEMPLAR OV ST33L! Then they go to the show, somehow transform into midgets and perform 'My Twin' backwards to a standing ovation that lasted 4 days, 34 hours, 2 minutes and 21 seconds.

I agree totally with the thread starter. The promoters were out of order for screwing Katatonia. I felt it was extremely decent of Anathema (Given their current situation especially) to play. The amount of respect that has just given me towards them is huge. It bought a massive smile to my face. Heroes to the metal community, same with the other bands that played also. Although i am slightly dissapointed that Katatonia didn play with a whole 'Fuck you cunts' attitude towards the promoters. There was probably a deeper meaning towards them though. there has to be.

Deliverance6 said:
this will be explained Im sure......2 sides to every story.....

It has to be explained....cause I really can't see why only Katatonia and Novembre refused to play that gig. All the bands were in the same boat...
Anyway, Vinnie from Anathema has dedicated the show to all the bands who were fucked up by the organizers, including Katatonia guys.

Sad to know this, thats so bad!!

I think that Katatonia have made the right decision not to play...it's in their right to do this! what the fuck, it's their work, no-one likes to be swindled like that!! Loyalty to fans?? noooo, this is another story. At least they could hang out to talk with fans for an hour or so

Anathema shouldn't have played their gig either...but Anathema guys are very different from the norm, I've talked to them sometimes, never saw someone with that passion in music

A question:
how many people attended the gig?

Migs said:
how many people attended the gig?

Not enough to pay the bands of course...
I think there were between 300 and 400.
That festival was a real swindle for everyone. I really wonder how those motherfuckers have managed to set up a festival like this...
I have tried to learn more about those guys and I see that they have already done something like this last year. The bands weren't paid for playing. Bands such as Tiamat or Headline had cancelled their venue to the festival. They were probably aware of the lack of guarantee for this gig. I'll try to get a compensation from those guys, but I will get nothing, cause I paid for a festival which has actually taken place yesterday.

For Katatonia tour promoter: the only professional places to play in the north of France is "Le Splendid" or 'l'Aeronef" in Lille.

cheers to anathema indeed. but it need not only be the money issue that stopped katatonia from playing. the organizer might have given the news in a very wrong, disrespectful way to katatonia and completely pissed them off. the way things get talked makes a huge difference, especially in such a situation.

Most bands make a loss when touring - it costs more for food and travelling and stuff than they actually make from ticket sales. From the sounds of it, they'd probably have lost a lot of money out of this gig - they had to pay to get there, a lot of people would have bought tickets for those bands, and they were probably rather fucked off that they wouldn't get paid.

If they were there they could have stayed and played the gig I suppose, but after touring for a couple of weeks already the bands are probably tired and really don't want this kind of hassle. It is perhaps a little selfish, but I can see why a band wouldn't perform given the circumstances.

I've spoken with Vincent from Anathema before and after their concert on Metalmania Festival 2006 in Katowice, Poland. And I must admit that I was nicely surprised how down to earth this guys are so the fact that they played after all is not that strange to me. Beside this they need the support from their fans nowdays so I understand completely their attituide.

Look lets face it, Even if katatonia werent getting paid for playing, walking away isnt going to get them paid either. Paying for roadies or whatever, im sure other people wouldve been willing too help out, as was mentioned the other bands did. Its a shame Kata' didnt play as they are a fantastic live band.

Status
Not open for further replies.