Been a while...

Jan 10, 2005
It's been a while since I've worked with a band due to my departure from the studio I was at a few months back. Since then I've mostly been working on my own material which is nothing heavy at all (blues-rock). I was contacted by a band I worked with at the studio to do a three-song session for a demo release locally.

Here's one of the tracks. They sent me the MIDI from their TabIt rendition of their song. I ported the MIDI to EZDrummer dfh, then bounced all the tracks out seperately. The kick and snare ended up being replaced (100% kick, 70% snare - had to keep the ghost notes from the dfh snare), using BlackNeonBob's hugekik sample and all 4 of the caliban snare samples. Now, even though I have an XSr™, a Dual Rectifier, and currently a FireBall on loan all sitting here, the guitarist absolutely insisted on using the PODxt. It's beyond me. Also, even though right now I have quite a few guitars on "loan" at my disposal, including my own EC-1000 with dual 81's, HellRaiser C1, and an H-1000 with SD's, the guitarist insisted on using his Ibanez AX $150 guitar.

Moving on to the notes...PODxt models were BigBottom on the left, Criminal on the right, two tracks each. I would have mixed it up, having one of each on either side, but after we were finished tracking guitars I found out he played different things on either side...bummer. Bass is programmed and plugged into Cubase's VB-1 vsti. Again they insisted on using it, instead of the Ibanez Prestige 5-string or the Warwick 4-string I have here at the mo'. Basically these guys were fucking stuffed (UK'ers will understand that one :)). Vocals done with an NT-2a into a MOTU 8Pre.

Had quite a bit of trouble with the guitars, they were extremely fizzy and way too bright, basically had to low-pass the shit out of them (around 5kHz if I remember correctly), didn't use a hi-pass at all since it really thinned them out beyond recognition, and instead used a C4 around 200-270Hz to control the mud as much as I could. I feel like this is a pretty solid mix, but my ears are tired so...I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts/comments. The mix won't be changed after this at all, it's already been finished and they've started their cd dup'ing with a firm in town, so it's too late for updates. However, still would love to hear comments :)

~e.a

I tracked a band like that... they used their crappy instruments and then tried to blame the end product on me... the insisted on the bass going(processed) through a Pod Pro, guitar version... vocalist wanted to record with his RadioShack microphone... you know the type, with the 1/4" cord fixed to the mic...

They paid me a buttload of money and I will never deal with them again...

Also, they had a vocalist that just joined and they didn't have ANY vocal parts written for any of the 6 songs... :erk:

and he couldn't carry a tune if he had a basket... 2 long days tracking vocals...

But yeah... you mix sounds good, given the situation.

HellRaiser C1, and an H-1000 with SD's, the guitarist insisted on using his Ibanez AX $150 guitar.

Moving on to the notes...PODxt models were BigBottom on the left, Criminal on the right, two tracks each. I would have mixed it up, having one of each on either side, but after we were finished tracking guitars I found out he played different things on either side...bummer.
~e.a

Interesting stuff, listening now. Wow, that intro is misleading. :lol:
I can hear some "Between the buried and me" influence which I like. Overall you did a good job on the mix, but I think it could have been beneficial if you had used one of the amps you had at hand. I think the guitars would have sounded more defined resulting in an overall sharper mix. Just my humble n00b opinion. :)

OT: I am wanting to check out/buy a Hellraiser after so many good recommendations from here, what's your general opinion?

Cheers:kickass:

Thanks for the words.

When I listen to the mix, it sounds kinda...whats the word...muffled a tad to me. But when I tried brightening it up a little, it was just awful. So I left it alone. Brightening the guitars made them sharper alright, the noise they created was ear piercing :lol: I really regret letting them get away with the equipment choices they made, but they paid me enough to just let them run amuck and not care. I think I did the best with what I had to work with.

As far as the HellRaiser is concerned: I ordered the C7 before it came out, got it, loved it. Sounded amazing, played really well, nothing I didn't like about it. Except the fact that I had grown tired and bored of metal and writing it. So I helped a fellow forum member out by selling it to him, since they were basically unavailable in his country. I miss that guitar to this day and that was almost what...a year ago when I sold it? The C1 I have here now is a friend's that was left here after a drunken late night recording "session" about 5 days ago. I've been jamming on it quite a bit and it's definitely a winner. Everything I loved about the C7 is present. I'd buy one if I needed another guitar, thats for sure. I've had tons of gear before though and actually just got rid of most of it recently (thank god) because I didn't have time or the interest to use it all. Oh well. It's on my list for future buys, or if I ever decide to come back to heavy music (writing/performing, that is).

~e.a

Thanks for the reply about the Hellraiser. :kickass:

Also, I hope you don't think I was criticising your mix when I was referring to the guitars, I was criticising their choice of gear. :)

Sound good overall. The only thing I'd change would be the vocal eq - they need some air - a bit boxy right now. A discrete boost in the expensive highs should do it, perhaps low cut the vox around 150 too, dunno. Otherwise great.

Cheers

holy shit what a intro! weird stuff Mike...

I think the mix sounds fine given the situation as well, no worries...
The drums do sound programmed on faster parts, and i think the bass could be a bit louder, but that is all i can think of at the moment.

vocals need alot of attention IMO. they almost sound raw compared to everything else.

buttt then again, i'm really into modern, slammed, cripsy vocal sounds.

i actually like the band though...!

the drums sound fine during the heavy parts, but the clean section is really obvious it's programmed. The guitars are actually the highlight of the track i would say. The vocals need the most attention, they're muddy, dark and sound muffled.

Why didn't you secretly plug the guitar into a di and the parallel into the POD and then reamp the di? :) I had a similar situation, it wasn't a pod however... Vamp 2 :ill:

I would suggest you use more of the "original" sample of the snare as it does get a little too robotic :)

Oh, and in the intro there is some overpowering bass that I would lower a bit.
Vocals are indeed muffled.

Otherwise, given the situation, pretty good work :)