Beer.

Good effort!!
Anybody had any/many Czech beers?

I've had Staropramen in Prague - go to Hells Bells bar if you're ever there - Awesome Metal venue. The beers were like $1 AUD for 500ml.

I've also been to Bratislava Slovakia, got shouted Borovička (pine spirit) by the locals at the Alligator Metal bar.

I really like Blue Tongue pilsener which is a Czech recipe if I remember correctly.

s

I really like Blue Tongue pilsener which is a Czech recipe if I remember correctly.

If you mean in the sense that pilsener-style beers originated there... but it's an Aussie brewery with their own pilsener recipe. +1 nice beer.

While I was there I tried Staropramen, Zlatopramen, Pilser Urquell, about 5 or 6 different kinds of Kozel, and more home brews than I care to count. With the exception of one of the darker Kozels, I was completely unimpressed. Maybe it's because I'd Czech beer talked up to no end and had unreasonable expectations but I thought they weren't at all any better than beer from Germany, Sweden, England... even Slovenia could manage a solid drop with their Tooheys New-equivalent Laško and Union.

For fancy-pants beers as a whole, Belgium will still reign supreme in my humble opinion. Leffe is probably my favourite but runs around $7 to $9 a bottle at Dan Murphy's. Hoegaarden is bloody nice too and you can often find a case on special for around $50-55.

I've only heard of the regard for Czech beers through literature of Europe, figure that if most of Europe thinks a country brews good beer...
Ferret, perhaps your taste was also indifferent like many are with 'fine' wine.
I don't mind Hoegaarden, but prefer Schofferhofer, Żywiec is probably the cheaper, better beer, if you can find it. It's like $50 a case on special but the beers are 500mls, if my hazed out alcohol memory serves me at all.

Summer Hill hotel has Fat Yak on tap which I don't mind.

There is also one at the Sando I can't remember the name but it's something like Whale Ale?

Something to do with whaling, it may be from somewhere like south east W.A.

s

I've only heard of the regard for Czech beers through literature of Europe, figure that if most of Europe thinks a country brews good beer...
Ferret, perhaps your taste was also indifferent like many are with 'fine' wine.
I don't mind Hoegaarden, but prefer Schofferhofer, Żywiec is probably the cheaper, better beer, if you can find it. It's like $50 a case on special but the beers are 500mls, if my hazed out alcohol memory serves me at all.

Well Perhaps Czech beer is talked up so much because you can buy it for $0.50au off the shelf;) I know that would make almost any beer taste good to me. I think Kozels are a pretty damn awesome beer, I also have a fond memory of drinking a stein of Straopramen dark ale in Germany and thinking it was the best beer ive ever had.

I'll definitely agree with Ferret on the Belgium beers though, I remember going into a pub in a Belgium town called Gent. It was filled with old dudes who were looking at me funny. I bought a few different beers there and each one was as good as the other

It was filled with old dudes who were looking at me funny. I bought a few different beers there and each one was as good as the other

What?

You went to a old dude gay bar in a town called ...... Gent?

Dude that's the sign on the toilet door.

It only took you a few beers and then you found each one of them as good as the other?

Am I reading this right?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

s

Laško and Union.

Ahh, those words remind me so much of this place.

IMG_0053.jpg

s