Beheading of the King

Belgar said:
Another misconception. A pagan isn't a viking. Pagan is from latin paganus for countryman, peasant,... all of Europe before christianity started spreading was pagan and remained so for centuries. By being pagan you weren't considered viking. Gauls, celts, germans,.... were considered worshippers of "fasle" idols by the chruch and thus refered to as pagans.

That's why I said "considered pagan and viking. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part though :loco: .

And Norse mythology was also seen in the very small hints of Northern Germany, near Denmark.

But yeah, I'm interested in which King Erik it was, and when that took place. :headbang:

And wich danish king was his enemy?
And does somebody know a date or something?
I think it has to be before Knut the Great (1016) was king of denmark.
Because in his time Scania already belonged to Denmark.

At the time when this event took place, Sweden as a country didn't really exist. It concisted of smaller kingdoms and in Scania (Skåne) ruled king Erik.
Scania however, was under influence of neighboring Denmark, and had to pay taxes to the danish king, but when Erik refused the Danish king decided to go to war.

Erik, who got wind of this expedition, called upon 500 German horsemen to aid him in his defence of Scania, and when the danish fleet arrived they were crushed.
King Erik took the Danish king prisoner, and after demanding a big ransom he was released and sent home to Denmark. The danish people was not pleased with their kings actions, and had him killed by beheading...

Hmmm, I just wrote the lyrics...

If you're interested in the details of the story, I recommend a trip to Fotevikens Vikingareservat south of Malmö. It's a rebuilt Viking village and open air museum. A really cool place.

I'll definately go this summer. Does anyone know anything about a viking festival in Skåne in the early summer? I remember there was one two years ago but I missed it.
And besides, Skåneland, including Halland and Blekinge and maybe Bornholm, was a kingdom of its own six (!) times between 1043 and 1371.

Blutaar said:
Now we know the whole story...thx
I am interested in the details but I can't go to this museum :erk:

Foteviken has a very nice website. Google it. It comes in English, too.

The Saxons were worshipping the the same gods and goddesses as the Norse, under different names (Wotan, Donner, Tiwaz and so on).

I always thought that it was another name for Tyr (Tiwas), and that his name came from the word seax (like sax in Swedish, a kind of knife), and that the Sae were named for him. Anyhow,I am not so good at Saxon relgion, so I looked it up and found this, which is somewhat different, but non the less, interesting:

"Seaxnéat is only mentioned in a couple of sources, and therefore is very much an enigma. He is recorded as an ancestor of kings in the genealogies of Essex. When the Heathen Saxons on the continent were forced to renounce their religion and accept baptism, Seaxnéat or Seaxnéat was one of the Gods they had to renounce. It is thought the Saxons took their name from the seax, a short sword, not unlike a large Bowie knife. It would therefore go that the God’s name means something like “sword god” or “sword friend.” Many have taken him to be either Tiw or Ing, but it is entirely possible Seaxnéat is a God in his own right."

I think it's interesting, as a lot asatruar still to this day carry a scamaseax as part of their attire (the same way a sikh carries a dagger). I had always assumed that this was becaus the Havamal says that a man should always keep his weapon by his side, because you never know when he might need it. Well, it is interesting then, that it should be a seax in particular, and not just any knife. Maybe that's a throwback to this? Hmmm...I see an essay paper in the making...