Behind the Music?

SymphonyXV

Mar 9, 2010
Albany, NY
I can see SX are extremely private people and don't hardly ever tell too much about themselves. I was wondering what religion they are? Are any of them Christian? Are any of them married or have kids? I know it's pretty useless information to me but they are my favorite band.

Also I know there's technically a thread about this, but what the fuck do you think is taking them so long with this next album? They can't even write something or make a video about progress or anything. Last summer I heard the new album was coming out Spring 2010 but there has been no word from any of them that I know of. How much longer could it be? I know in the News section of this site they said they were just about done but that was over 4 months ago.

A. These would probably be good for the suggested FAQ update maybe? Otherwise they're maybe too personal or just not revelant for band members to comment on.

B. yea its a long wait for little info but honestly, I hope they take their time and make the album as good as it can be. better another year for something as good as V than another 3 months for something just "meh", PL, alright, unremarkable

I'm pretty sure that, for the band who doesn't share many personal details, religion is the last topic they would discuss. I think the majority of them are married, but don't quote me on that and don't ask me who.

As for the album, just because we're used to constant web updates doesn't mean that everyone should do it. I never lived during the 60s or 70s, but imagine what it was like to only know that a band had a new album coming by listening to the radio or seeing a poster in a record store? Much less knowing what each band member's personal theological beliefs are. 'Tis an age of too much information we live in.

In my view we've gotten quite a lot of information, the album is coming... And Symphony X isn't even close to being one of the slowest bands.

I know I say this a lot, but: Try being a Wintersun fan. 6 years since the last album was released. The new one in progress for over 4 years already. Over a year since last official update. Hah!

Russell Allen is married and has at least one child (that I know of). Michael Romeo is married, and I'm pretty sure has kids. Jason Rullo, is also married and has a kid or two.
As far as lepon and Pinnella go, I have no idea.

I don't know about the rest of the members, but I do believe Russell Allen is Christian, and before he started his music career was a choir boy!

Enough info for you?

Too much.

I understand that people want to know about the musicians behind the album, but to me it just seems weird to discuss their lives on a public forum without their participation (this is not directed at you proulxski).

Pretty much never, none of them like the interwebs. And I understand Zach, no offence taken!

EDIT: And just so most of you know, these are all things that are talked about in the band FAQ as well as answered in some of the fan IRC chats. If you actually take time to look at the symphony x website (which I did once apon a time) there is much information about their past and what they do. As far as their children, on these forums jax has posted many times "Congratulations to *Insert name here*" Because they had a child, the last one was Russell, the one before that was Rullo.

Try being a Wintersun fan. 6 years since the last album was released. The new one in progress for over 4 years already. Over a year since last official update. Hah!
This slightly edges out Fates Warning (last record released in 2004, new record due in 2011 for all we know) but has nothing on Enchant: last record out in 2002 (discounting a live DVD) and an endless stream of "We're busy with family and life and not rushing a new album at all" ever since. :(

Pretty much never, none of them like the interwebs. And I understand Zach, no offence taken!

EDIT: And just so most of you know, these are all things that are talked about in the band FAQ as well as answered in some of the fan IRC chats. If you actually take time to look at the symphony x website (which I did once apon a time) there is much information about their past and what they do. As far as their children, on these forums jax has posted many times "Congratulations to *Insert name here*" Because they had a child, the last one was Russell, the one before that was Rullo.

Ok ok no need to be a dick about it

He isn't even being a dick about it. Just saying that this is quite open information for anyone as it can be found on the forum. I remember those topics being posted as well. So yeah, some of them have family alright, but unsurprisingly they keep their private lives mostly separate from their work.

I'm pretty sure that, for the band who doesn't share many personal details, religion is the last topic they would discuss. I think the majority of them are married, but don't quote me on that and don't ask me who.

As for the album, just because we're used to constant web updates doesn't mean that everyone should do it. I never lived during the 60s or 70s, but imagine what it was like to only know that a band had a new album coming by listening to the radio or seeing a poster in a record store? Much less knowing what each band member's personal theological beliefs are. 'Tis an age of too much information we live in.

I endorse this post 100%. Yes, "Back in the day..." record store posters and monthly rock magazines were the only source

Michael Pinnella plays the organ in a Christian church and has three kids I think. I met a bass player who said that he auditioned for Symphony X after Thomas Miller left, and found out through being friends with Pinnella's brother-in-law.

Jason Rullo (who's name starts with a J) has a son who was born the same date as Mike Portnoy (who has the same name as 3 SX members and is the only member in DT who's name DOESN'T start with a J). Spooky... :p

In the Odyssey booklet it says "Mike LePond would like to thank: God..." so I guess that means he believes in some kind of supreme being.

All of this bitching reminds me of "waiting for the man", which for all you kids out there means waiting for the drug dealer. Also known as the waiting game. The longer the drugs would take to arrive, the more people bitched. The funniest thing about the waiting game is that when the goodies finally would arrive, you forgot about all the waiting and the bitching.

We are just the same on here. We are SX junkies and we need our supply of stuff. We don't know when they will deliver because they aren't answering our call and haven't decided on an ETA yet. Of course we are gonna bitch and moan in frustration.

But when the record finally does arrive, we'll all go back to playing nice as usual won't we?

I just hope that the goods aren't stepped on or a bunk mix. :)