behold! the arctopus

I listened to one of their tracks on myspace instead. It sounds like what a band thats really out of time live sounds like.

This is considered good by people? Give me a fucking break.

"good songwriting" is objective.

B...tA! write amazing songs, the structure is not the usual ABABCABB whatever, that doesn't mean it sucks.

I honestly hate all the pseudo tech metalcore and deathcore bands too (though Psyopus are entertaining) but Arctopus are on a whole different level compositionally.
They take a few listens though. I can air drum and guitar the first two EPs.

Don't bother listening to experimental music if you want pop structured songwriting, listen to nothing but Judas Priest your whole life and remain content.

@EricT - what does out of time mean? they are running late and only have 2 minutes to play left? Please use terminology correctly if you want to get the point across.

"good songwriting" is objective.

B...tA! write amazing songs, the structure is not the usual ABABCABB whatever, that doesn't mean it sucks.

I honestly hate all the pseudo tech metalcore and deathcore bands too (though Psyopus are entertaining) but Arctopus are on a whole different level compositionally.
They take a few listens though. I can air drum and guitar the first two EPs.

Don't bother listening to experimental music if you want pop structured songwriting, listen to nothing but Judas Priest your whole life and remain content.

@EricT - what does out of time mean? they are running late and only have 2 minutes to play left? Please use terminology correctly if you want to get the point across.

Out of time, as in, an expression (though not grammatically correct) commonly used to describe a band not playing in sync with each other... as in, each member is off in their own world playing at whatever pace they feel like with no evident connection to what the rest of the band is doing... as in, this music sounds like shit to me.

<Waits for comment stating that I am an idiot and that the music is so genius that it flies over my head and into the upper reaches of the atmosphere.

you're not an idiot for not liking this kind of music, but to say that these guys are not playing together is an idiotic statement.

Almost every single note is some kind of a unison, whether its the guitar/bass...riff/bass drum...or full on unison patterns.

if you want to here bands that don't play together, listen to old Graveland albums where the drummer keeps getting tired and falling behind the rest of the music.

B...tA! are all world class players, their drummer Charlie is one of the most sought after session drummers in NYC currently, there is no way anyone is playing "out of time" every accent is pain-stakingly planned out and nailed.

you're not an idiot for not liking this kind of music, but to say that these guys are not playing together is an idiotic statement.

Almost every single note is some kind of a unison, whether its the guitar/bass...riff/bass drum...or full on unison patterns.

if you want to here bands that don't play together, listen to old Graveland albums where the drummer keeps getting tired and falling behind the rest of the music.

B...tA! are all world class players, their drummer Charlie is one of the most sought after session drummers in NYC currently, there is no way anyone is playing "out of time" every accent is pain-stakingly planned out and nailed.

I'm sure they're wonderful players, and I'm sure it is planned out... I'm just saying that it just doesn't work to these ears.

And I have problems listening to Thousand Swords because of the reason stated above. While I can imagine what was meant to be, is hurt by the sporadic drumming. I actually noticed this a few times in the latest album as well..

I'm with azal on this topic here. I don't think "Behold..." are over the top. The cool thing about that kind of music is that it doesn't wear off so fast. You keep listening and there are details you just notice after a thousand spins but there are also some elements (like certain grooves) that got me instantly hooked. With this kind of music you got to invest something (time and attention that is) but it's paying off exponentially.

But I also understand that this isn't appealing to anyone, especially if you aren't a musician yourself.

I'm sure they're wonderful players, and I'm sure it is planned out... I'm just saying that it just doesn't work to these ears.

And I have problems listening to Thousand Swords because of the reason stated above. While I can imagine what was meant to be, is hurt by the sporadic drumming. I actually noticed this a few times in the latest album as well..

Copernicus is the worst drummer, ever.

B...TA was kinda cool when I first heard them, but this is not really something I would go back to listen to honestly.

Copernicus is the worst drummer, ever.

Copernicus wasn't on Thousand Swords... he was on the other shit drummed albums. Rob has never been able to secure any type of decent drumming, be it programmed or recorded.

Also, I hears a thor's hammer album with Copernicus on it, and it wasn't too bad drumming wise. On the other hand, the rest of the music was sub par.

Nah, the NSBM band...

He does most of the instrument work himself, but only did the drumming on the first 2 albums cause he probably realized how awful at it he was.

He holds the record for best NSBM album art ever with 2 different covers for his 2002 album "The Fate Worse Than Death" (which isn't actually that bad of an album, same goes for the other albums he did past the first 2):

145_thorshammerthefateworsethandeath_big.jpg

144_thorshammerthefateworsethandeath_big.jpg

HAHAH! I was looking for that album cover years ago! (The one with the negro and Marilyn Monroe.)

To get back on topic: it's great to see a band pushing the boundaries. That's been done way too little since the days of WatchTower, and later Atheist and Cynic. I really like Nano-Nucleonic Cyborg Summoning (haven't heard Skullgrid yet), and even though Colin, Mike and Charlie are no Ron, Doug and Rick (at least half of yas won't get that one), and I'm not sure what the point was of the demo without Charlie, I hope they'll make it over here some time soon and amaze us. As said before, the fact that you don't get it (sorry, but that "out of time" comment just cracked me up), doesn't mean that it sucks...