Behringer Truth 2031s vs. KRK rockit RP5??

battery198

Feb 28, 2006
Hey guys,
I have a question about monitors. I'm looking at these two, I know they're not high end or anything, but wanting to see what u think is better. I have a chance to get some Behringer Truth 2031 actives for $200 from a guy, new in the box. Otherwise, I can probably get the KRK RP5s for less than normal from someone at guitar center. Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks.

I don't have experience with either. From my own experience with some studio monitors that I purchased, and what I've seen here, you should save up and aim for a monitor that is at least 8 inches. 5 inches won't do you much good for an accurate representation of the sound...especially the bass.

Brett, that avatar is way too distracting. I try to read and just end up lookin' at the slut on the left.

battery - if they are the berry 2031A actives, and you can get them for $200, take them. they will definitely do the job for right now, until you can upgrade to a better set (dynaudio bm5a - amazing) ..

anywho, $200 is just a solid deal on the berrys... you can easily dump them in 6-8 months and break even if not pull a small prizzoffit, lil nephew.

5" monitors blow. Don't waste money on 5" speakers. If you must get something smaller than 8", get a 6-6.5" speaker, like the DynAudio BM5a's. With 5" speakers I have learned you might as well be using regular hi-fi speakers, and even then you'll actually get more accurate low-end from the hi-fi's, :lol:.

The Behringer stuff is OK to start on, but in the next few months, do yourself a favor and save up some cash for a decent pair of 8" moni's. The KRK Rokit 8's are good, $500 for the active pair. I use them here in the studio every day, they sound great. Plenty of low-end for satisfy my tastes. Or if you want to go the next step up, shoot for some Mackie HR824a's, also 8" speakers in those. I use those here as well, very...very good moni's. But they'll run you about $1,200 for the pair.

I'm pretty everyone will tell you to nab those Behringers if you have to, but in the ensuing months, be saving up for a better pair. The Behringers are actually a big step from hi-fi speakers, so they aren't all that bad, to be honest. Good luck.

~006

If it's for bedroom monitoring, still, a 5" sucks ass. 6" or 6.5" would be sooo much better. My 2 cents.

~006

EtherForBreakfast said:
Brett, that avatar is way too distracting. I try to read and just end up lookin' at the slut on the left.

LMAO, i swear that the exact same thing i did myself, and then i read your post and laughed since :lol:

On Tuesday I did a big monitor shootout with a friend.

They had Behringer Truths which I thought sounded like garbage, The Event TR5's were a little better, but not great. I had higher hopes for the Events as I always hear good reviews on them and a friend just bought a pair (but hadn't compared it to anything) and said they sounded good. Then again almost any decent monitor will sound good if you have nothing to compare it against.

The KRK RP6 and the RP8's made everything sound dull, like it sucked the life out of the music. But they were a cut above the those two I thought.
They had some JBL's which actually suprised me at how good they sounded.

The KRK V8's were ok, but the high end seemed a little hyped and there was this area where things just sounded too harsh. Sometimes a little overbassy though.

I kept switching between some Dynaudio BM5A and the Mackie HD824's which I thought sounded the best in the room. The Mackies sounding the best to me. The BM5A's were a little light in the low end though.

We asked if they had any HD624's to compare to and they had a pair but it was sold so they wouldn't let us hook them up. My friend was most interested in the 624's because the 824's were out of his price range. Anybody ever compare them?

I don't think that 8"s are an overkill for bedroom monitoring. You're going to want the improved bass accuracy of an 8" speaker no matter where you're mixing. It's not really a volume issue, so the size of the room doesn't really matter all that much, especially if the walls are treated in the problem spots (standing waves, etc). As for the KRK Rokit 8"s, I couldn't be in more agreement with 006. When I was putting together my setup, I was eyeing a few different smaller, cheaper monitors (some M-Audios mostly, which actually aren't great at all), but I was convinced into buying the Rokit 8"s and I can't stress how glad I am that I spent a little more up front and ended up with MUCH better speakers to work with. The KRKs haven't left me anything to desire!

Goddamn Guitar said:
if you're going for the truth monitors, the 2030 with 5" sounds much better than the 2031...

I think the 2030 got a 6 3/4" membrane and the 2031 a 8 3/4" membrane...

I can't compare the 2 monitors mentioned here, because I only know the Behringers. Instead of many other Behringer products the truth monitors are really value for many and a good thing to start with!(imo)

..and don't forget they ain't 'linear', they are 'ultra-linear'!:loco:

btw. watch out for Genelec monitors, espacially the 1030 and the 1031 modell, compare them with Behringer 2030 and 2031. Noticed something?:)

Niels