Benefits of preamps in front of interface

schismatic

Kintsugi is coming
Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, UK
Guys,

I've got a Toneport UX2 interface and I currently record my DIs with one of Orchid Electronics' Classic DI boxes into one of the mic inputs on the UX2.

How many of you guys use a dedicated preamp between say your DI box and your interface?

I've been looking at a couple of relatively affordable ones (Focusrite ISA One and the Golden Age Pre-73) and wondered whether they really make much of a difference.

What are your experiences?

My personal opinion on this matter is that it is not worth investing in preamps until you have everything you need and just want some different flavors. They are kind of like icing on the cake.

Preamps have different sounds and sometimes even different features. They can have an effect on various things like the frequency response, saturation, the way the preamp picks up transients, stereo imaging, perceived depth and noise floor levels. Unless you're going for a certain preamp that has a certain sound or color that you are looking for I would suggest upgrading your interface first, which makes a lot more sense in your case. Quality interfaces even those on a low budget usually have very usable clean preamps and great converters built in already.

It's the quality of a guitar DI that I'm looking to improve here. Even with a standalone preamp in front of my current interface, am I going to be limited by the quality of the pres and coverters in my UX2?

If so, then are there some decent "next-step up" interfaces from the UX2 that will offer me better quality conversion, and would you guys have any suggestions for me in that department?

I would not need many inputs at all, a couple of XLRs would be enough because I use a DI box. It's really the quality of conversion and circuitry of the interface I'd be looking to improve.

It's the quality of a guitar DI that I'm looking to improve here. Even with a standalone preamp in front of my current interface, am I going to be limited by the quality of the pres and coverters in my UX2?

If so, then are there some decent "next-step up" interfaces from the UX2 that will offer me better quality conversion, and would you guys have any suggestions for me in that department?

I would not need many inputs at all, a couple of XLRs would be enough because I use a DI box. It's really the quality of conversion and circuitry of the interface I'd be looking to improve.

babyface - job done ;)

Yes, pretty much. Unless you could bypass the preamp. But still you would have the same conversion quality.

Ola Englund and Keith Merrow both use PreSonus interfaces. They seem to sound great and are known for their solid drivers. If your budget allows also have a look at the Little Labs Redeye 3D, it's one of the best sounding DI boxes.

I used to have a pod studio gx which is like your ux2 with less features. Now I have a saffire pro 40 and the differences in guitar DI aren't that big but there's definitely an improvement from the pod studio. The saffire in hi-z mode is cleaner and not as muddy as the pod and I think it was worth it. I've been listening carefully exclusively to guitar DI's for about two years recorded by users from this forum using high end preamps worth more than 1000 usd and the difference is not that big from mid-end preamps on interfaces. Only worth it if you really have a lot of money to spend of gear and want to get that extra benefit or flavor they have. I can safely say I can get pretty professional level guitar DI's with my saffire pres.

unless you plan on sending audio to outboard gear i wouldnt worry about converter upgrades cheap interfaces these days sound great. A decent preamp can really improve di bass recordings and can help a little with guitar. Dont get a babyface either, you cant bypass the built in preamps