New Preamp/Interface Ideas for Next Build

Wolfeman

I Prefer EL-34s. So What?
Feb 21, 2006
Cleveland
Hey guys, I was just sitting around today trying to plan out my 'proper' studio when I get back from Iraq in a year....

I really don't want to slack in the preamp/interface area, but at the same time I don't want to spend 'too' much.....

So what I'm looking for is an interface with at least 8 line inputs and ADAT capability so I can add more inputs. All I really need is a soild 16 input interface. I was thinking of going the firestudio route, along with a digimax adat pre which would give me the 16 inputs. But with all the issues I've had with Presonus products, I might not want to go that route. So my next option is an RME Fireface 800. I think it would be great, maybe paired with a Multiface 2 or even the Digimax....

Now for preamps.... I pretty much want to spend the money on a good complete set. I was thinking of maybe the Focusrite ISA 828 along with a Vintech 473.... Or should I just get a Crane Song Spider, drop the digimax and call it a day.....

So many choices.... What would you do????

FF800 for the interface unless you go HD, for sure.

Pair that with one of the RME 8ch ADAT converters and a few nice pres (the stock FF ones should be fine for most things that aren't "mission critical"), and grab a Behringer ADA8000 for the shit that's REALLY not important (triggers, scratch guitars).

That'd leave you with enough cash for an API 3124+, a Vintech 1272, and an Amek 9098, etc... like 8 channels of really solid preamps.

Hell, the FF800 + ADI-8 + Behringer only runs 3500, if you buy brand new. You could go the used route, or ignore the ADI-8, and pick up a Crane Song Spider for Pre/Conversion, and then get something like the API or 1272 or a single killer pre for variance.

If your budget is that colossal, some ridiculously nice converters for both AD and DA (Benchmark ADC1 and DAC1 all the way) certainly wouldn't be amiss either. And I'd ditch the Vintech 1272 for the Brent Averill version, but otherwise, +1 for the FF800, API, etc.

Are the pres on the Crane Song pretty good for everything? I know Sneap has one, so it can't be too bad....