Coroner
Mercyful Fate
Flotsam & Jetsam
Overkill
Death Angel
Kreator
Destruction
Annihilator

Honorable mentions to Sacred Reich, Slayer, Powermad, Artillery... This sucked since thrash is my fave genre.

1. The production was much better on Kill.
2. James is a better singer.
3. The songs on Kill 'em All have become regarded classics of the genre, and virtually every metal guitarist and bassist can play least one song off of Kill.
4. This is art and not sports. There is no empirical way to prove any album or song or band is better than any other. I have a personal preference for Kill 'em All, so ultimately I have just invalidated both your argument and my previous 3.
are u serious tom is a way better singer thts 1st.
most of songs in kill em all have the same riffs
slayer is just better.....this is best thrash band and in my eyes thrash is fast underground music metallica is a house hold name they r sell-outs......just admitt it you know slayer is a better band

1. There is no better or worse. I prefer metallica, but you can't deny how far reaching their influence is. As great of a record as Reign was, Master of Puppets and the like influenced so many more people because of the brilliant songwriting largely owed to James Hetfield.

2. From a technical standpoint, sorry but James is a better singer.

3. Metallica had Cliff Burton. In the three albums Cliff made, Tom can never hope to achieve the brilliance Cliff achieved on bass during those 3 albums. His influence on metal bass playing is akin to Yngwie on shred metal guitarists. He completely changed the landscape for metal bass playing.

4. The term sell out is a load of shit said by 15-year-olds who can't imagine an artist working hard and wanting to reap the benefits brought with fame and money. And becoming popular because you write incredible records is not "selling out". Last time I checked, the guys in Slayer didn't live in squalor as starving artists.

I don't know that these two can be considered two of the "best" thrash bands of the 80's because they were both late comers, but both Wrathchild America and Powermad released a killer album each in 1989 with "Climbing the Walls" and "Absolute Power" respectively.

Bryant

slayer is just better.....this is best thrash band and in my eyes thrash is fast underground music metallica is a house hold name they r sell-outs......just admitt it you know slayer is a better band

Slayer's later albums suck just as hard as Metallica's.

everyone has their own opinion but the fact of the matter is Metallica crushed boundries and broke barriers. They play great live, sell out shows all over the world. Metallica is the biggest band in America right now, the statistics speak for themselves. Death Magnetic brought them back from their musical slump. So statistically Metallica.

Stubborn fanboy alert :lol:

Out of 80s thrashers I'd pick these:
Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax
Overkill

Thrash = Megadeth , I will refrain from any further comments. After that there are a number of great bands, and many none of you mentioned. Thrash is my favorite style so I kinda know a lot of the unknown bands.
No particular order

Annihilator
Nuclear Assault
Pro-Pain
Slayer(Speed / Thrash)
Exodus
Vio-lence
Forbidden (Forbidden Evil)
Necronomicon
Grip Inc.
Helstar
Hirax
Metal Church
Morgana Lefay(i guess its another style also)
Overkill
Arch Enemy
Gothic Slam
Torque
Technocracy
Necrophobic
Sepultura(*)

And many others go to geocities.com/thrashlist I think that has a list of every known thrash band.

Wow! Helstar - used to do shows with them at Cardi's back in the 80's in Houston - those guys rocked!

Hello, new here.

Rust In Peace for me far eclipsed any other thrash album I ever heard; I think mostly because of the songwriting and also how the album flows as a whole, in addition to Nick Menza and Marty Friedman's performances. I did enjoy Peace Sells just as much aswell as a couple of tracks from So Far So Good So What! and Killing Is My Business...

Anthrax's Among The Living is a classic too.

Many killer thrash bands from the 80s but overrall I'd go with the following in this order:

Slayer
Metallica
Destruction

1. There is no better or worse. I prefer metallica, but you can't deny how far reaching their influence is. As great of a record as Reign was, Master of Puppets and the like influenced so many more people because of the brilliant songwriting largely owed to James Hetfield.

2. From a technical standpoint, sorry but James is a better singer.

3. Metallica had Cliff Burton. In the three albums Cliff made, Tom can never hope to achieve the brilliance Cliff achieved on bass during those 3 albums. His influence on metal bass playing is akin to Yngwie on shred metal guitarists. He completely changed the landscape for metal bass playing.

4. The term sell out is a load of shit said by 15-year-olds who can't imagine an artist working hard and wanting to reap the benefits brought with fame and money. And becoming popular because you write incredible records is not "selling out". Last time I checked, the guys in Slayer didn't live in squalor as starving artists.
dude r you kidding there is no way mettalica is better im trying to say man just listen to the lyrics they have no meaning for reals.....all metallica lyrics have no meaning its just catchy you can tell when james write it caz lyrics make no sense like battery,motorbreath.....there are like 3 mettallica songs i can under stand ride the lighting, fourhorsemen, and master of puppets...only songs and make sense and 2/3 of them were wirtten by dave mustaine...and have heard for whom the bells told lemme quote this "take a look to the sky just b4 you die is the last time you will" i mean this is like the assumption game you practically guess the next word he's saying so it rhymes.....METALLICA IS TRASH...since 1992....i will be honest.