best bang-for-the-buck LDC??

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
yet another question :)

i finally decided to add a LDC mic to my gear list....looking for the best bang-for-the-buck kinda mic, i.e. somewhat cheapish, yet decent enough.

i was considering the rode NT-2A, would that be any good?

this is going to be my main mic for vocal recording (using an sm58 as of right now), plus maybe for some ambience tracks on guitars, or acoustic guitar kinda stuff.

thanks!

We recently did an acoustic guitar, spoken word and music playback from a Genelec 8050 shoot-out with some LDC's including an AKG C-4000, AKG Solidtube, the old Rode NT1, Rode NT1A, Rode NT2000 and an Rode NTV, and actually I was really impressed by the NT1A. It's a bit on the bright side, but for the ~170€ price tag including a shock mount, I think it performed really well against the more expensive ones.

I've got a Studio Project B1 and i like it very well. I use it mainly on vox, but i tried micing up a guitar cab and it was good. Very clear and sensitive, and they gave a shockmount and a windshield to it. :)
I recommend it, not too expensive and great quality. I hope that i could help for you.

+1 I have my two mk-012s my mk-319 and my two mxls getting modded this week :heh:

Are you modding the mk-012's yourself?
I have a pair of them too and Ive been thinking about modding them.

Now to get on-topic: What about the Peluso 2247?
Anyone tried it?

hey,

sorry for not responding to my own thread for some time - busy week with the job...

anyways, so it seems to be between the studio projects B1, rode NT1A/2A, or the AT 4033.

would anyone be able to describe the differences between these??

i'm looking for a mic that's more on the bright side if anything....NOT looking for something dark, basically.
clarity is another more important point (obviously)

this will be mainly for recording cookie monster metal vocals....maybe some female clean vox, too. acoustic guitar would be more like an "Option" if anything.

any ideas?
i'd like to order one on monday-ish if possible...

I use a B1 for vocals, recording acoustic guitar, micing a cab, micing hats and as a room mic on drums. It's been great for all of those things, only cost me £70 :)

yeah, c414 is out of the question unfortunately...

once again, maybe anyone can point out some differences between the b1, 4033, and nt2a/1a?