Ldc's, 2 Rode NT-1a's vs 1 AT 4040

if6was9

Ireland
Jun 13, 2007
lreland
Rigt i've been mulling over what Large diaphragm condenser to buy for a few months now, it'll still be a while before I can actually get one too. It'll be my first although I've used some nice ones in college- U87, Rode K2, Rode Tube Classic II.

- I'll be using them for lots of stuff but mainly Vocals, drums and acoustic instruments.
I'd it narrowed to a rode nt 1a or an At 4040. I noticed I can get 2 of the rode's in a matched set for around the same as the Audiotechnica mic. It'd be great to have 2 for stereo room on the drums and for acoustic stuff too. plus I record live a bit and it'd be great for this too.

I've read as many reviews I can find of the both- alot of them compare the At to the Rode pretty closely. Which would you go for? I can't afford a matched set of the At's yet- the mic alone is pushing the edge of my price bracket as I plan on getting a set of rode Nt-5's aswell.

The Rode is one seriously bright mic; I've yet to encounter a voice it didn't sound good on, but it's still something to be wary of, and I really don't think it'd be good on cymbals (except as a room mic)

I've read that in alot of reviews- it has alot of 5khz and presence, I've read that the AT does too but not to the same extent so I'm not sure, I'd love to be able to try them both so I could A/B 'em but as it stands I've no access to either