Best BM album Cover

The guy in the picture is Dead (the ex-singer for Mayhem). This picture was taken after he blew his head off with a shotgun.

Originally posted by Dreamlord
The guy in the picture is Dead (the ex-singer for Mayhem). This picture was taken after he blew his head off with a shotgun.

Ok, thanks Dream. Still a shitty fucking cover if you ask me, but hey, I've already proven I don't know anything.

It also answers that the person who chose this cover was simply trying to be shocking. eh.

Originally posted by phyre
The cover fits the music and the image that the true Mayhem portrayed. No, it does not look like a goregrind band's cover. Show me one goregrind band who has a real photo of their OWN singer with his brains blown out as a cover.

OK, I've to admit that i don't know much about the true Mayhem and their image. I really like De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas but never heard their older releases. If you have the knowledge about Deads suicide the cover is for sure Black Metal. But I think if I would have never heard about Mayhem and just see the picture I wouldn't expect Black Metal. It's definately a very special cover for a Black Metal band.

Originally posted by phyre
No, well, that's true, you'd expect a forest or a graveyard or a transylvanian castle or whatever :p, but if you know Mayhem, have read interviews etc. with them it seems very appropriate for them to have such a cover.

Yep, I prefer the more atmospheric covers. For instance:

Ulver - Bergtatt & Nattens Madrigal
Darkthrone - A Blaze..., Transilvanian Hunger, ...
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Dissection - Storm Of The Light's Bane
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse

But as you said it has to fit the bands music & image.

Ulver - Bergtatt and Emperor - In the nightside ecliple are sssso fucking great, but i also like a lot Enslaved - Frost, In the Woods... - HEart of the ages and Necromantia - Crossing the fiery path...
as for this picture of Dead it's cool for a cover for a death/grind band, not a black metal band.... anyway poor Dead

as for this picture of Dead it's cool for a cover for a death/grind band, not a black metal band.... anyway poor Dead

You don't seem to understand. The music of Mayhem worshiped death and suicide. They openly promoted suicide, and they swore to end their miserable lives by their own hand. Death's suicide was a pivotal point in the norwegian black metal scene, and showed that they were serious about what they said. A cover with their vocalist's brains spilled out is not for shock value, it stands for everything in Mayhem's music. Death/gore bands are humour. They don't take themselves or their image seriously. A gore band wouldn't put a dead man (no less their bandmate) on a cover, because they wouldn't want to be inconsiderate towards his family. Mayhem had no such moral values.

Originally posted by Lady Of The Snow
How about Michael Romeo's The Dark Chapter? It's simple, yet it says so much :)

Or ARK- Ark?
Kamelot covers?

For me, any "tasty" album cover will do. It's the music that counts, not really the cover ;)
None of those are even remotely close to being Black Metal. :lol:

Originally posted by Lady Of The Snow
How about Michael Romeo's The Dark Chapter? It's simple, yet it says so much :)

Or ARK- Ark?
Kamelot covers?

For me, any "tasty" album cover will do. It's the music that counts, not really the cover ;)

mmm, the thread called for BLACK METAL covers. I might have been confused by the Mayhem cover, but these bands you've mentioned? They ain't BM. And no, Ark doesn't count b/c they were corpsepaint ;)