Best cab to go for with an EVH 5150III 50w?

By the logic that if 2 cabs with similar dimensions and same speakers sound vastly different, what effect do you think will an even greater difference in dimensions have?
You said you haven't compared them side by side, so theres no way you can tell how different they sound. Our acoustic memory is extremely bad and deceiving.
Not attacking you personally ofc, maybe your experience was indeed different.

Punkyskunky, you're right, in the long run learning how to mic a cab will give you more learning experience. I just thought you wanted good sounding results in a shorter time period.

i have actually learned a lot about what works between my different amps/mics/cabs/spots in the room since i got the kemper. i think it is a really great tool for practicing dialing in a good mic'd tone without relying on post processing.

^ Checked out some of your productions Mago, the guitars sound awesome!

Maybe I should forget about getting an amp for now and go for a Kemper + a Mesa 4x12? That way I don't have to worry about getting an amp that can do both cleans and dist guitars. I can always save up and get the real deal sometime in the future :D

What do you guys think?

^thanks man, although I don't have a lot of up do date stuff up there since my old mp3 player service made problems...haven't had time to put it up to date since I'm going to overhaul my whole website soon anyway.

I assume kemper (the version with built in poweramp) + Mesa 4x12 would be kind of best of both...Micing that setup would miss the point though, also because the kemper sounds better directly onto tape/hd.
But you could crank that setup and play through it, as well as getting nice tones right away.
If you get a mic, stand and head later on you can still try to get awesome tones yourself down the road.

Can a kemper be played through a guitar cab? o_O Or did i misunderstand the sentence? I would think it should be played into a PA.

I never saw a kemper from close up. But as far as i understand it profiles the complete rig in a single run..So you have the combination of Preamp+Poweramp+Cab+Mic and anything that is in front of the amp beside the guitar. If there is a function to disable the "cab". How does the Kemper know how the amp would sounds without the cab and mic? It would need to know how the mic effects the profil..how the cab does and then it could be substracted from the profile. But for me playing a Kemper into a guitar cab would be like having two cabs in serial.
The only idea that comes to my mind is profiling the speaker out of the amp but i don't know if that is even possible because i am not familiar with the kemper..but that would be interesting to know.

When he is speaking it's so obvious that he is german =D

You got something wrong with the video. He is profiling the entire rig including the cab. Then he disables the cab inside the kemperprofile (still doubtful how the kemper knows what it has to substract). Then he is running the filtered kemperprofile into the powersection of the randall. But you don't want another additional amp head but a kemper with built in poweramp. You need a profile that was made while a cabinet is hooked up to a real amp. And then instead of a mic infront of the cab you need to send the signal from the speakerout to the kemper for profiling. This could be done with something like the 'Countryman Type 85' which would be connected between speakerout and cab and has a line out for the kemper. The Cab need to be connected not only as a load to not blow the amp but also it affecs how the poweramp sounds (keyword here is the impedance-curve). The only question is: does the kemper require a mic signal or does also any line signal work? You would have to plug a 1/4in jack into the kemper instead of the mic but there are 1/4in to xlr adapters out there so that's not the problem. But i guess the kemper has something like a micpreamp and inserting a linelevel into it isn't the proper way. So it have to reduced to mic level before entering the kemper. Not that hard to do but probably you have to tinker around with electronics.
But additionally i bet there aren't so many direct speaker out profiles around there so you have to made your own one. So first you need the real amp and something like the Countryman or if your fit with electornics building your own line out (which is pretty easy by the way) or even mic level output.

Now i would like to read a kemper manual :D maybe i wrote only bulshit..

^Kemper manual is on the homepage.
(google kemper manual. its what I did when I was too lazy to stand up and grab the physical one ;) )

Yes you can bypass the cab section and run the rest of the profile into a guitar power amp. How it does it? No idea, but it works pretty good. It's fun to play through a setup that way.
I did it with various profiles through my peavey 6505+ into my Mesa 4x12. Worked like a charm, and even if it was a different poweramp, the feel of the amp in the profile was there.
With modern hi gain amps the poweramp doesn't affect the tone nearly as much as in the old days anyway (old plexis, etc...)

Theres 2 version of the kemper, one without a poweramp (it's like a guitar preamp), and one with a built in poweramp (Like a normal guitarhead so to speak).
If you want to run it through a guitar cab you need one with the built in power amp, or you need an external poweramp.

Jevo did a video to compare how it sounds if you turn the cab off in the profiler and then run it through the same poweramp vs only profiling the preamp, then playing through the same poweramp:

Kemper also has a line in, from mixers etc...in case you want multiple mics and stuff.

I'm not exactly sure how easy it is to convert a powersignal to a line signal though. You have to be really careful with that....I'm also not sure if the Countryman could handle the speaker signal (I guess it wouldn't be good for the OP-Amp).
I'm anyway not that experienced if it's really that beneficial to take the speaker signal, since I haven't spent time with a loadbox like a torpedo yet.
Guess it depends on the construction of the amp...not nearly fit enough in electronics to judge that without making audio tests tho :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Profile with disabled cab into savage poweramp sounds like shit ...sounds really like two poweramps in serial. Too bad it seems his Kemper is the one without built in poweramp. That should sounds better but would have been great to hear in the same shootout.

The 5150 Poweramp has a big effect on the sound just because it has another EQ (Resonance+Presence).

Ok, when the kemper also offers a line in and in the video the dude profiles the preamp that way then it's also possible to profile behind the poweramp. You only have to bring the voltage down.

Now i want to know: Can the Kemper only play one profile at a time or could i profile every gear seperatley and put them in serial in the kemper? like having a profil for a TS another one for a head and another one for a cab made with a neutral poweramp? That would be like a POD but with kemperquality...

Profile with disabled cab into savage poweramp sounds like shit ...sounds really like two poweramps in serial. Too bad it seems his Kemper is the one without built in poweramp. That should sounds better but would have been great to hear in the same shootout.

The 5150 Poweramp has a big effect on the sound just because it has another EQ (Resonance+Presence).

Ok, when the kemper also offers a line in and in the video the dude profiles the preamp that way then it's also possible to profile behind the poweramp. You only have to bring the voltage down.

Now i want to know: Can the Kemper only play one profile at a time or could i profile every gear seperatley and put them in serial in the kemper? like having a profil for a TS another one for a head and another one for a cab made with a neutral poweramp? That would be like a POD but with kemperquality...

I wouldnt say it sounds like shit,but i also wouldn't use it to record. For monitoring through a cab at rehearsals and gigs it would be enough for me,altho for me it would be pretty pointless to even run the kemper through a cab.

hm yeah i suppose it would be cleaner,since no one really knows how much of the poweramp cab and mic the kemper bypasses when you deativate the cab section.

Yeah ofc,i ment poweramps without tone controls. Altho technically the EQ isn't active on the 5150,it's a filter iirc. So both on 10 is what the poweramp sounds like.

You cant profile stomp boxes,but you could put it before the amp when you profile it from the reamp or speaker out. Or use one of tthe kemper built in TS.
Dunno how well profiling only a clean poweramp through mic and cabb would work. You'd have to bypass the rest of the profile again,but maybe it would work better than with the normal full profiles.

But no,you cant only profile signle parts of a profile,a profile is always made up of amp and cab part. You have to split it up later if you want to use different parts of it.

i would tend to use a more middy sound live to cut through but with that doubled poweramp it gets way more scooped. But probably it could be fixed with post EQing in the Kemper. Indeed it would be the simplest method. But well that is with another tube poweramp...so with the kemper built in one this should be fine.

too bad..maybe kemper v2 in several years can do profiles from single parts :) would be the next step.

So Kemper (the version with built in poweramp) + Mesa cab could work. profiling the speaker out would be the proper way when going into the guitar cab but disabling the cabfunction could work as well but probably not with the same accuracy.

5153+Cab would be cheaper and nicer for rehearsals but not as easy to record. When recording is the main part i would go for the kemper and would accept compromises with rehearsals..especially when you never miced a cab yet.

I read the intro again..you are the drummer? why do you even need a cab then?

^ I do all of the sound engineering and technical work for my band. The guitarist in my band is my brother so he trusts me to find the best gear since I like to do a ton of research before I purchase anything expensive. Also another reason I'm purchasing the gear is because I'd like to start a studio sometime in the future and record other bands.

After reading all of you guys' comments I think I'll get the Kemper, and probably get a 6505+ and a mesa 4x12 in the future. I think the Kemper would definitely be great for me from a recording aspect, and we don't really play live at the moment so the cab can probably wait...

Another NOOB question I have (I have many of them): If I was to route the Kemper into my mac and into Reaper could my brother practice through studio Monitoring speakers? Since we don't currently have a good amp he usually just practices on headphones with the X50 V2 by TSE audio.

practice should work with connected headphones/monitors directly to the kemper as well as with the interface and daw in between. with interface and daw you just have to set the buffer size in the asio driver so that you get the lowest latency possible while playing.

^ Nice, I'm on a mac so no ASIO (thankfully). Usually with the buffer at 128 or 64 with the Tse X50 and a Fabfilter pro-q I don't get any noticeable latency when tracking, so with the Kemper it should be even less latency :D

Thanks for your help guys, all the answers have been very useful for deciding what I should get.