Best Cheap Pre-amp for recording metal VOX

MegaMustaine

Apr 7, 2006
Hey guys. I am in need of something with enough gain to record my SM7B into my computer. I am really looking for something semi-entry level....not looking for the world's best pre-amp. I use the SM7B for cleans and screams, so obviously I am going to need a preamp with enough gain and a good enough sound for both.

Do these preamps typically have a usb port or something to hook them up to the computer? Anyways, I'm looking for something below 200 bucks, and will probably go used. But recommend away! Don't need multiple channels, just going to be recording vocals at one time by itself.

Thanks guys. :headbang:

I was actually looking at that. It's not terribly expensive...how do you like it?

Edit: So it's looking like I need a Pre-amp AND an interface, is this correct? My PC doesn't have firewire support on the motherboard (though I could buy a card if I really had to) but damn...i don't know if it's in my budget for both. Should I look at a UX2 or something that combines both things? Like I said, I'm kind of just getting started with vox. I want them to sound good, but I'm not recording other people, just me.

Maybe I could line out the VTB-1 to my POD XT pro to a blank patch...but I'd probably lose a lot of sound quality right? Or should I buy a cheap beringher mixer of sorts

well what is your budget?

The trick with the SM7B is it does tend to need quite a bit of gain.

So I would get an interface that also comes with bundled software. Since you aren't super concerned with sound quality, there are lots of 2-channel USB offerings out there.

$300 is about my absolute max...why bundled with software? Is there emulation software that serves as mic preamps? I thought there might be something like that. If so, presonus or something? Sorry for the noob questions guys.

Just a recommendation - for 300 bucks you can get a brand new Roland/Cakewalk V Studio 20 - it will provide you with all you need.

http://www.cakewalk.com/products/v-studio/default.aspx?Prod=VS-20

roland-v-studio-1.jpg

I have the somewhat more powerful V Studio 100 and it is a great piece of hardware so I would expect nothing less from the V Studio 20.

Jop... a lot of gain! But u won't have trouble getting the gain with 90% of the gear! Rly nothing to worry about actually....
I have an Audient asp008 that has less gain that a standard preamp ..and there's still enough gain left to power the sm7!

The focusrite saffire LE looks sweet and I can afford it, but I am going to be recording a lot of guitars with my PODXTPro and vox with the interface. Would it be plausible to just get a VTB1 and run it through my pod so I don't have to keep switching soundcards all the time?

Yeah you could, but I personally would reccomend the Saffire which also works wonderfully for tracking guitar/bass DIs into it, you would get better quyality than POD DIs. Even if you would use the POD for your amp sim tone, you could use the POD´s digital output (spdif is it? I only have the Live one, not the Pro) to connect it to the saffire and use the saffire´s firewire interface, that way you would get much better quality because Line6 drivers suck and by using the digital output there is less ad/da conversion, from the POD to your Daw it´s all digital

How do all these preamps compare to the M-Audio stuff?

Is a tube preamp really that much "better" than a SS one?

I own a Fast Track Pro. They go new for under $200. 2 inputs (xlr/1/4"), 4 1/4" outputs, RCA outputs, MIDI in/out, Headphone out, etc. USB connection to computer, not firewire. seems to work decently for beginner but I'm currently looking into at least an 8 input interface.

Is a tube preamp really that much "better" than a SS one?

Not the cheap ones. They're normally run at such a low voltage that the advantages of tubes don't kick in. Plus the extra expense of the tube stuff means compromises have to be made elsewhere to keep the price down. On a tight budget you'll almost certainly be better off with solid state.

Not the cheap ones. They're normally run at such a low voltage that the advantages of tubes don't kick in. Plus the extra expense of the tube stuff means compromises have to be made elsewhere to keep the price down. On a tight budget you'll almost certainly be better off with solid state.

On any budget you'll almost be better with SS. This isn't guitar amps ya know.