Favorite all around amp head?

Sep 20, 2005
If this thread is not Sneap/Recording related enough to be appropriate I won't be offended if it's deleted or something but anyway...

I am planning and buying a high gain amp head for recording and playing with a band and since you guys seem to have very good ears and are knowledgeable about this kind of thing I thought I'd ask here!

I was looking at the Peavey 6505, XXX, Mesa boogie Duel Rectifier, and Krank Revolution.

What are your favorites all around? any others I'm not thinking of? by the way some of my favorite guitar sounds are Arch Enemy on Doomsday machine and Nevermore the beginning of seed awakening.

Thanks a lot in advance!

I personally prefer the 5150 over those if you can only have one, but it's a real one trick pony.

For example; I have a 5150 now, but I still have GAS for a Mark IV and a VHT.

That said, the 5150 will NAIL the Arch Enemy tone on Wages of Sin and Anthems of Rebellion, as well as the Soilwork, Haunted, In Flames, etc. tone.

Are you doing low tuning or using a 7 string? For my taste, I haven't played anything I like as much for lower tuned stuff than the Bogner Uberschall.

On the other hand, the bang for buck for a 5150 (or 6505) is hard to beat.

Actually yes I do use a seven string about half the time. I forgot to mention that. Thanks for the replies so far! the 5150 will work with low tunings too right? cause I know arch enemy tunes to C and even A occasionally.

My most memorable years as a Metalhead, was during the 'New Wave Of Goteborg Heavy Metal' era.

Back then, most bands that fell under this category, used 5150s [now the 6505]. And that was the sound I fell in love with.

Hence, I would purchase the 6505.

Also, if I could, I would purchase a Mesa Dual Rec. This is because I get slightly aroused whenever I hear John Petrucci's 'Awake' or 'Pull me Under' tone, Testament's 'The Gathering' tone, and even Metallica's 'Black Album' tone.

I do enjoy Dave Mustaine's tone on Youth and CTE. Although he uses some obscure Rocktron Prophesy preamp, which I don't know much about.

Sinister Mephisto said:
Actually yes I do use a seven string about half the time. I forgot to mention that. Thanks for the replies so far! the 5150 will work with low tunings too right? cause I know arch enemy tunes to C and even A occasionally.

Any amp will work with low tunings, some just sound better than others. Of course, "better" is a term you have to define, but yes, the 5150 does low tunings well.

Nitronium Blood said:
Also, if I could, I would purchase a Mesa Dual Rec. This is because I get slightly aroused whenever I hear John Petrucci's 'Awake' or 'Pull me Under' tone, Testament's 'The Gathering' tone, and even Metallica's 'Black Album' tone.

John used a recto on that album?

Bob Savage said:
Any amp will work with low tunings, some just sound better than others. Of course, "better" is a term you have to define, but yes, the 5150 does low tunings well.

Sorry yes I meant will it work well. :)

Would I be able to find a ENGL Savage to try in the US? I thought they were mostly in Europe.

Bob Savage said:
Interesting, I wasn't aware of him touching recto's until recently, with the Road King.

i'm quite sure he did use a LOT of amps for both awake and falling into infinity. he'd double track using his mkII c+, a dual recto, heartbreaker, studio pre, triaxis, etc etc etc....basically anything mesa. this is especially the case with FII. but still, i doubt anyone could nail the awake tone with just a recto. to me it sounds more like the recto wasn't domination the mix anyways. sounds very c+ ish to my ears.
images and words btw was recorded mostly using a triaxis: 290 rack setup for dirty and a jazz chorus for clean work, as well as some acoustic stuff (pull me under intro for example).
to complete the list, here's what i can remember (i used to search the petrucci forum all day long :D ):
scenes from a memory: almost all mark IIc+ and mark IV with a recto here and there (home for example)
six degrees of inner turbulence: mark IIC+ all the way. maybe some mark IV thrown in, but pretty much the whole second disc was done with a mark series amp. the glass prison (1st track 1st disc) was done with a recto, though. i remember him saying that in an interview. not sure about the leads, though.
train of thought: road king all the way
octavarium: sucks IMHO, so i don't care

bottom line is that back in the day the mark series together with his triaxis rig used to be his main backline, whereas the newer stuff featured more recto. judging only by a quick listen, octavarium also sounds quite recto/road king - ish

If cost is no issue, I'd say to grab a Triaxis preamp, 2:90 poweramp, G-major for effects if you need it, and a Mesa Traditional 4x12. It'll get you nearly every Mesa tone ever made, and then some. Plus, it'll sound amazing doing it.

but if cost is an issue you can pick a 5150 up used for 550-600 almost anytime with a little bit of searching. throw a tube screamer in front and bam! instant tone.

Since I no longer gig, I really don't have a fav... but right now the most fun to play is my Dual Rectifier Solo... especially since I restocked it with 6l6s from el34s

I have the followng:
Cobra
Dual Rectifier Solo 3ch
5150-II
Legacy
'63 Fender Bandmaster Mod'd to 100W