Best current amp sim and impulses for leads?

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
I know a lot of new stuff has come out and I've been kind of out of the loop. So I just want to know what your current favorite amp sims and impulses are for leads, I'm having a tough time getting a good tone.

I pretty much use Lecto for everything sim. Tried other ones but none seem to do as well imo.

For something like Lextac, what do you guys normally have your power amp setting at? Like 12 o clock? It seems like I need to put mine higher to get enough drive or it just sounds too dry, even with delay. Driving the input knob up seems to help, as well as the volume knob on the TS... am I doing something wrong?

Lextac ..here is what i'm using red channel I use the contour: 2:00 treble: 2:00 mid: 10:30 bass: 1:00 gain: 1:00 brightest settings/ power amp at 2:00
gain structure down(very important!!) and no boost.
and tse x808 gain 0, level and tone all the way
and impulse Catharsis Spres 5

pretty high gain to me! Good Luck!

Lextac ..here is what i'm using red channel I use the contour: 2:00 treble: 2:00 mid: 10:30 bass: 1:00 gain: 1:00 brightest settings/ power amp at 2:00
gain structure down(very important!!) and no boost.
and tse x808 gain 0, level and tone all the way
and impulse Catharsis Spres 5

pretty high gain to me! Good Luck!

I'll try these settings, thanks! Level all the way up on the TS or close might help. What is your input level at? And why is gain structure down important?

After going through a series of amp sims trying to get a liquidy lead tone, surprisingly Amplitube Metal worked best. Metal Lead V settings

I like Le456 and LeCab. Tried Lecto, didnt notice much difference between that and 456, except Lecto was wayyyy quieter for some reason.

In my experience, it's really all about the player and the post processing done.

I really love a simple parallel (100% wet) chain of slight comp, EQ, verb, and delay.

In my experience, it's really all about the player and the post processing done.

I really love a simple parallel (100% wet) chain of slight comp, EQ, verb, and delay.

Is verb still common on metal solos? When I try to put a bit on it just sounds odd... I really love the lead tone on the new Killswitch track

Last edited by a moderator:
I dislike almost any lead without reverb. I'd say it's a pretty common tool to give instruments depth.

The lead on that new KSE track sounds like verb and delay to me.

It's really all about parallel processing and blending the FX in so they aren't totally obvious.

Interesting... maybe I'll give the verb another go

I mean, if it sounds good, it is good.

But, yeah man, once I discovered parallel processing and setting up the FX Bus to 100% wet, it totally opened my eyes to a new world of tonal possibilities.

But, I'm still a "bedroom warrior" so, I wouldn't exactly take my advice too seriously.