Best Guitar Player Of All Time?

I wonder if Hendrix would've been called Heavy Metal if he lived a bit longer, I dunno but his music seemed to get heavier and heavier.

Most people claim that Hendrix was going in a much more techincal, jazz direction at the time of his death. But metal is probably the closest thing to a modern jazz that exists, and considering how unequalably innovative Hendrix was, I bet he would have jumped into heavy metal; if not in the 80s then today if he hadn't mellowed out like most chumps do. Back when I listened to Hendrix I always thought he would have become metal if he lived, but that was back when I thought "Spanish Castle Magic" was fuckin' heavy tune.

Tom Morello definitely deserves a spot as one of the greats.

This is in my opinion a very creative riff (the verse)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is always such a hard question, and gets so many arguments going aswel, haha.

Personally, i don't think you can decide on a 'greatest guitarist ever' until you literally have heard EVERYONE in the world, for all we know, there could be some 11 year old virtuoso from Japan that is classicly trained and just, amazing.. but we don't know of him...

Aaaand, i don't think you could call someone the best guitarist ever unless they literally are, the BEST, at every genre of music that involves a guitar...

But anyway, some of my favs:

John Petrucci:
Such a massive knowledge of music, amazing composer, knows about what he is doing inside-out, and not just some random shredder. He writes some really amazing melodies with so much 'emotion'.. and can play a nice dose of shred with amazing clean-ness. A very influential person to me.

Mikael Akerfeldt:
Not only does he have a great voice, both clean and harsh, he is a great composer (Opeth are a marmite band, you either love them or you hate them... those who hate them haven't been open minded enough to accept them (or they just aren't right for them), those who love them see the true beauty of the music). He has so much influence from so much obscure music, which shows a true passion to 'dive' deeper into the world of music, and not to just produce the same old Metallica over and over again). He writes some of the most amazing riffs (both acoustic and heavy), and even more amazing, his melodic lines and solo's (both soft and heavy). I think he's awesome.

Jari Maenpaa:
Amazing composing talent. Amazing at his sweeps.. and he just happens to have one of the greatest voices in metal..

Devin Townsend:
Great composer, and i like the way his guitar playing isn't "speed is everything". He has an amazing background to go with it all too. And he's come up with some of the greatest vocal lines i've ever heard.

Michael Romeo:
Great guitarist, has both speed and melody. Amazing composing skills (Orchestral parts in 'The Odyssey' are just amazing).

There are more, but they're probably the main ones

The best guitar player ever probably works in some guitar shop in some obscure town in some obscure corner of the world.

The best guitar player ever probably works in some guitar shop in some obscure town in some obscure corner of the world.

Well someone who's better than Hendrix, Iommi and all the other greats would definitely be a big solo artist or in a huge band. Unless they were told they would be killed if they made it big.