Best long prog song?

It's not a prog song, but I have to add Edguy's "Theatre of Salvation".

Probably the only song I've ever heard over 10 minutes with no filler space.

Ghost Love Score is 10:02 techinally

HOWEVER, the fade out is like 25 seconds long and the last couple minutes is just repeating the chorus.

So that's probably why it doesn't really seem long...

I would say Symphony X - The Odyssey. Too many progressive long songs just seem like 20 songs merged together. Like Vision Divine's latest, how they said "It's like one long song"...Um? If that's one long song for the entire album, every album is one song.

Same with DT's SDoIT 2nd CD (46 minutes). That's horse shit in my opinion. Just because you can make it transition does not mean it really works as one song. When I hear the 2nd CD, I could just listen to a part of it and view it as one song. The only reason in necessarily flows is due to lyrics.

However, this eliminates many songs for me (even The Odyssey). That's why I'm not as fond of the progressive long songs. Power metal appeals more to me there as lots are based on a central melody while reloving around it. *shrugs* Very rarely do I hear a long progressive song where it just flows perfectly. As in it just seems natural and not just a tempo change for the sake of a tempo change.

nightwish58 said:
Superior "Why" is one of the most incredible song I have ever heard!!! Although it may clock in at just under 10 minutes, screw it!!! That song will always be in my top 5 favorite songs of all time.

Yep.....in fact, Superior's Behind, and that song in particular, were one of the big reasons I got really into prog-metal to stay, back in c. 1993. Along with Dream Theater, and Symphony X's Divine Wings CD, those three formed the holy trinity against which all other prog-metal CDs were judged, back in the halcyon days of the Ytsejam Mailing List.

my two favorite long songs happen to be neither 10 minutes long nor prog and both happen to be off the same album. metallica - ...and justice for all and to live is to die

but for the sake of continuing the thread, one could technically consider large portions of OL - Mabool a single entity. specifically, for myself, mabool, the storm still rages inside, and rainbow. on top of that, ill go with sym x - odyssey.. just wish they'd use real orchestrations with it

In no particular order:

Symphony X - The Odyssey (24:07)
X Japan - Art of Life (29:00)
Virgin Steele - Veni, Vidi, Vici (10:42)
Transatlantic - Duel with the Devil (26:44)
Moonsorrow - Haaska (14:42)
Liquid Tension Experiment - When the Water Breaks (16:57)
Edguy - The Piper Never Dies (10:07)
Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons (23:09)
Blind Guardian - And Then There Was Silence (14:07)
Avantasia - The Seven Angels (14:04)

Dream Theater - Learning to Live ...absolutely wonderful. And yes, I must listen to Wait For Sleep before it.

- Another Hand/The Killing Hand ...from Live at the Marquee. I can listen to that over and over forever. Easily. And James' voice never sounded better.

- Stream Of Consciousness ...could they pack more into that song? ALL of it is genius! It's almost better than Erotomania for long instrumentals, only cuz it's just so damn long and satisfying to listen to!

- Finally Free ...the drumwork at the end. Nuff said.

Symphony X - The Oddysey ...while I love Divine Wings of Tragedy, I just can't get the visuals outta my head when I hear the Oddysey, cuz it's so vivid and so lively and so REAL when you hear the lyrics. Masterful.

Manticora - Roots of Eternity ...hellabitchin riff-fest of a song. Great feel to it, and great way to end an album.

Edguy - The Piper Never Dies ...this song feels so damned good to bang my head to. And I love how they speed up everything at the end and just wail away on it. Jam session gone crazy. HUGE production on it, too.

Avantasia - The Seven Angels ...I say that the ending melody of that song is one of my favorite all-time melodies or riffs or vocal lines ever. Up there with the Champion Of Ithaca part of The Odyssey. Fuckin perfect. Tons of vocal chorus, wonderful lyrics to chant along to, and dramatic as a car crash.

Angra - Carolina IV ...great rhythmic introduction, great mood, very thick sound, lotsa little parts all through it to catch and listen to, and tons of shifts and changes. And it all comes back together at the end.

Kamelot - The Elizabeth Trilogy ...screw you all, this is one excellent big ass song and I'm not gonna be convinced otherwise!

Dream Theater- Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance
Fates Warning- Pleasant Shade of Grey
Edguy- Pharoah
Threshold- Critical Mass pts. 1-3

Enjoy!
saMetal:headbang:

I'd say fifteen min. Ten minutes is not epic enough, and twenty might cut out a lot of really good choices.

15 minutes might exclude "Learning To Live," though, and that would be uncool. :D

Dream Theater--"A Change Of Seasons"
Fates Warning--"A Pleasant Shade Of Gray"
Redemption--"Something Wicked This Way Comes"
Symphony X--"The Divine Wings Of Tragedy"
Transatlantic--"All Of The Above"
Yes--"Close To The Edge" and "The Gates Of Delirium"

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

10-15 minutes:
Fates Warning - "Epitaph"
Dreams Of Sanity - "Komödia III - The Meeting"
The Third And The Mortal - "Neurosis"
Atrox - "Panta Rei/Gather In Me No More"
Thought Industry - "The Chalice Vermillion"
15-20 minutes:
Nektar - "A Tab In The Ocean"
Mekong Delta - "Dances Of Death"
The Gathering - "Black Light District"
The Third And The Mortal - "Oceana"
Shadow Gallery - "The Queen Of The City Of Ice"
20+ minutes:
Fates Warning - "The Ivory Gate Of Dreams"
Sieges Even - "Tangerine Windows Of Solace"

Great choices all around, but how could you forget Maiden's "Rime of the Anicent Mariner"?! Iced Earth's "Dante's Inferno" deserves a metion too; anyone in the Chicago area ever hear Scott Davidson play those two songs back to back? :)

--T.J.