Best Metal Band From the 80s

Oh man this is a hard one. I couldn't say Judas Priest, because their strongest and most historically important albums were in the 70's, and 1990 (technically the 80's, but one doesn't cut it....)...Iron Maiden has their glorious streak of winners in the 80's.

I'd have to say my personal favourite Metal band of the 80's would have to be Fates Warning. They completely fell apart after 1988, but their first four albums are some of the greatest Metal albums of all time. Fates Warning it is.

Too many, but wanna mention Queensryche, as they topped the rest just a little bit in the 80's I think....

I'd say Slayer, Metallica and Iron Maiden (in no particular order).
I can't really choose one, they are all equally important to me in that decade, all had awesome releases thru whole of the 80s, with hardly a bad song.

Some thrash bands that come to mind are Sacred Reich, D.R.I., Nuclear Assault, The Crumbsuckers, Exodus, Testament etc.. ackkk too many to name.. but my first choice is Metallica w/Cliff followed by Maiden,Ozzy w/Randy,Dio,Judas Priest ,Slayer,& Motorhead. :headbang:

Probably Maiden, influenced tons of bands and released the best album ever made: Piece Of Mind :) Too bad their latest album is a piece of underproduced crap...

Oh and Saxon are great too, they surely deserve more recognition!

Savatage or Queensryche
bluebiggrin.gif

ethereallights said:
What is the best metal band from the 1980's in your opinion. I'd have to say Bathory.

As others have stated, it's hard to single-out just ONE band. Take a look at the 1980s output of the selected artists below. This is NOT an easy decision (this only accounts for material RELEASED between 1980-1989):

Black Sabbath
Heaven & Hell; Mob Rules; Live Evil; Born Again; Seventh Star; Eternal Idol; Headless Cross.
Sure, the later few are weak, but the first 4 are pure genius!

Iron Maiden
IM, Killers, Number, Piece, Powerslave, Live After Death, Somewhere, 7th Son
Has ANY band, EVER, released such consecutive GREATNESS?

Priest
British Steele, Point of Entry, Screaming, Defenders, Turbo, Live, Ram it Down.
Priest, for all of their greatness, have always been spotty. A great record, then a weak record. They lack consistency. With that said, they STILL released 3 classics!

Queensryche
EP, Warning, Rage, Mindcrime.
4 of the decades BEST releases. They're right behind Maiden!

Metallica
Kill, Ride, Puppets, Justice.
Again, one can find little fault with these classics. It's only what came after.....that ruined things.

Ozzy
Blizzard, Diary, Speak, Bark, Sin, Tribute, No Rest.
Again, his 90s output was weak, and he's no longer the 'prince of darkness', but each of these releases is amazing!

Slayer
Mercy, Chapel, Hell Awaits, Reign, South.
'Nuff said.

King Diamond/Mercyful Fate
Nuns Have No Fun, Melissa, Oath, Portrait, Abigail, Them, Conspiracy.
Love his or hate him (the voice), the music is unbelievably strong!

TOUCH choice, indeed.