Whats your favorite extreme metal band from the 80s?

My fav Death metal album is probably Symphonies of Sickness or if it counts The seven churches.

I think that SOS is more a grindcore album. IMO Carcass became a death metal band with "Necroticism".

I think that SOS is more a grindcore album. IMO Carcass became a death metal band with "Necroticism".

I always considered SOS to be both. A lot of grindcore bands especially back in the 80s had death metal in their sound including Napalm Death and Repulsion. S.O.B thevjapanese bands album called Don't be swindle is an example of grindcore without elements of death metal.

I'm not sure if they are considered "extreme" any more but it would definitely have to be DARK ANGEL.

Obviously the Big 4 (SLAYER, MEGADETH, ANTHRAX, METALLICA) but there are also a lot of lesser known metal bands from the 80s that are very good. Celtic Frost being one of them. Sepultura is also pretty kick-ass.

Slayer, Morbid Angel

Does Sepultura count? I've had a strange relationship with death metal. I love it live. Not so much listening to a recording. Most of my favorites are local bands I know no one has even heard of.

Pretty much every band mentioned so far, plus Nuclear Assault, SOD, Destruction, Sacrifice, Indestroy, Ripping Corpse, Death Angel, etc. etc... (i.e. all of them)

I'm going to exclude what I consider non-extreme thrash and say Pestilence. Not too big on anything they've done outside of the 80's, but the first two records are excellent.

The same thing everyone else said pretty much, Slayer and Death ect ect. The eighties were pretty much the pinnacle for thrash and death metal. Even to this day very seldom has anyone really rekindled the good ole' days of those two genres. Thrash metal in particular has been pretty much been on the downward spiral ever since then but there have been exceptions don't get me wrong. My point is that the greatest thrash metal was made in the eighties pretty much.

Does anyone here know Piledriver - Metal Inquisition? I love that band and album and it should be on the extreme list m/

I have that and "Stay Ugly" both as MP3s, but they're not extreme (In the actual sense of the tag).

Does anyone here know Piledriver - Metal Inquisition? I love that band and album and it should be on the extreme list m/

I have that and "Stay Ugly" both as MP3s, but they're not extreme (In the actual sense of the tag).

Agreed. Although what is seen as 'extreme' is also a matter perspective. I am listening to the new album from Iskald now and it is not sounding 'extreme' to me. YMMV. :)

Destruction, Kreator, Sodom, Exumer, Darkness, Assassin, Rage, Tankard, Protector, Pestilence, Onslaught, Atomkraft, Exodus, Death Angel, Exciter, Sacred Reich, Testament, Possessed, Morbid Angel, Death, Bathory, Celtic Frost, Dragon, Destroyers, Wolf Spider, Alastor, Mactep, Flatbacker, Sepultura, Sarcofago.