Whats your favorite extreme metal band from the 80s?

Bathoryswans

Oct 3, 2013
By extreme metal I mean any thing in the thrash, death, or black metal genre. Me personally as you can probably guess by my username I like Bathory the most. Bathory has been fairly consistent in comparison to other extreme metal acts of their time having only two particularly poor albums (Requiem and Octogon) and also they are major pioneers in both black metal and Viking metal. I love how versatile they were going from their raw motorhead influenced debut to a more majestic and atmospheric beauty such as Twighlight of the gods. A lot of your less well rounded people will not be able to respect such changes in style but I like a band who is willing to try different things especially one who generally does such a damn good job. Some of Bathorys albums took getting used to such as the Return which at first I simply could not get into but one day I fell in love with it and now consider it a masterpiece of its genre. My fav album by Bathory is ofcourse Blood, fire, death because its a best of both worlds as it shoes the transition between black metal and Viking metal plus the title track is imo the bands most epic piece of work.

I'm not really a fan of black/death - or "extreme" - metal, but I did create a video about it! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jrqXR3RY90‎

I guess I would go with Slayer, Testament or Exodus, or something. Does Metallica or Megadeth count? :p

They do but person I think Metallica and Megadeth or any of the big four were pretty overall weak I mean I love thrash and I see the big four as nothing but gateway bands that get you started and then you find better bands like Metal Church, Overkill, Sodom, Destruction, Kreator, Voivod, Razor, Dark angel, and so on. But hey that's my opinion you like what you you like and don't let me or anyone else tell you what to like.

Tons of them if we include thrash. But trying to deal with extreme I have to choose DEATH. 3 albums in the 80´s, 3 masterpieces defining the death metal genre. In the 90´s, 4 albums, 4 masterpiece in prog death.

Tons of them if we include thrash. But trying to deal with extreme I have to choose DEATH. 3 albums in the 80´s, 3 masterpieces defining the death metal genre. In the 90´s, 4 albums, 4 masterpiece in prog death.
Don't forget they invented it. Death is like the one band everybody who likes extreme metal agrees on. Truly fabulous even if I listen to Carcass more. What's your favorite death album by the way?

Howe for me, but of course I dig the Wayne era too.

I agree I think Mike had a bit more of unique voice plus the albums they made with him were about as solid as you get. Blessing in disguise is my favorite and Hanging in the balance is a close second. That said the first two album had their own unique charms and sometimes I prefer them. Its a shame about Davids voice on Masterpiece though. What do you think of the latter material with the third singer? I've been kinda putting it off.

Death, Possessed, Sodom, Vader, Celtic Frost, Venom...
There are too many
If we are talking thrash then fucking DEMOLITION HAMMER

Détente, Coroner, Death + many particular albums by different Thrash Metal bands. In other words: For me it's nearly impossible to just pick one specific band.

. Its a shame about Davids voice on Masterpiece though. What do you think of the latter material with the third singer? I've been kinda putting it off.

Actually I like David vocal's on "Masterpeace". I think he finally learned to sing there, but the music lacked spirit (I suppose the band was already fractured enough).

As after that? No thanks, I think it is Vanderhoof by another more popular name, but it is not Metal Church. I ended in the aforementioned album.

BTW, welcome to the forum :kickass:

Actually I like David vocal's on "Masterpeace". I think he finally learned to sing there, but the music lacked spirit (I suppose the band was already fractured enough).

As after that? No thanks, I think it is Vanderhoof by another more popular name, but it is not Metal Church. I ended in the aforementioned album.

Thanks for welcoming me. This place is slow but seems nice enough. Too bad about newer metal church though. Oh well they had a damn good run.

Don't forget they invented it. Death is like the one band everybody who likes extreme metal agrees on. Truly fabulous even if I listen to Carcass more. What's your favorite death album by the way?

Death (band) album or death metal (genre) album?

Death album: Mmm... difficult. It changes from time to time. Probably "Human", basically because it´s the first one I bought from them. A kind of first love maybe

Death metal album: Too much.

- Monday: Morbid Angel: Altars of madness
- Tuesday: Pestilence: Testimony of the ancients
- Wednesday: At The Gates: Slaughter of the soul
- Thursday: Carcass: Heartwork
- Friday: Bolt Thrower: The IV Crusade
- Saturday: Demigod: Slumber of sullen eyes
- Sunday: Asphyx: The Rack
- Monday... :tickled::tickled::tickled:

Just anyone names Metal Church and we have to disagree :D "Masterpeace" is boring as hell for me. I remember that tour in a sadly way. They played in Madrid and just 90 people in the venue. The band had no chemistry at all. Unfortunately it was the first and last time I saw David Wayne. After that I interviewed David when he released his solo album "Metal Church" (far better that "Masterpeace" but, come on, what a name!).

However, I disagree about Metal Church post-"Masterpiece". Vanderhoof band? Maybe but they´ve released good stuff ("A light in the dark", for instance) and playing live the band was far better than "Masterpiece" days. Even, I had the chance of listening "Badlands"

Death (band) album or death metal (genre) album?

Death album: Mmm... difficult. It changes from time to time. Probably "Human", basically because it´s the first one I bought from them. A kind of first love maybe

Death metal album: Too much.

- Monday: Morbid Angel: Altars of madness
- Tuesday: Pestilence: Testimony of the ancients
- Wednesday: At The Gates: Slaughter of the soul
- Thursday: Carcass: Heartwork
- Friday: Bolt Thrower: The IV Crusade
- Saturday: Demigod: Slumber of sullen eyes
- Sunday: Asphyx: The Rack
- Monday... :tickled::tickled::tickled:

I meant album by the band Death of course lol. My fav Death metal album is probably Symphonies of Sickness or if it counts The seven churches. That said in going to listen to death again. Would it be wrong if I ended up like Leprosy the most?