Best Mix Yet!

outbreak525

Jun 15, 2010
I think I nailed it on this one!
You know when you have that one incredibly inspirational smack in the face about how to improve your mix? Yours truly, just did.
Check it out!
Before
After

so, what did you do to it? I can definetly hear it's a little louder and has more presence to it. My guess is a harmonic exciter or some saturation.

Actually I did a lot of small tweaks in the EQ of the guitars and vocals, blending them together and whatnot.
Cut out some abrasive low frequencies in the bass (everything under 50hz, it was fucking with the bass drum)
Added a nice delay to the solo at the end.
Increased the bass wave behind the talking part at the end to give it more of that cinematic feel.
Boosted highs around 7k for the guitar solo to give it that nice crispy presence, but also cut near 2.4k to give the rhythm guitars some more clarity there.
Increased the limiter on the guitar for more of that scratchy punch,
and last but not least made the cymbals a little louder/crispier with a super slight boost around 10k.

Though I think they could've done more with less in meanings of composition, I think the mix is very cool and punchy, the cleans sound amazing what chain do you have there? dope work! :kickass:

Thank you!
This is actually my own band that I've produced, and we're all extremely critical of everything so getting this sounding perfect is quite the challenge.
The cleans are run through pod farm ... Noise Gate > Jazz Clean > EQ > Compressor > Sine Chorus > Digital Delay > Slap Plate on one track, American Classic > Compressor on the other.
Then in Cubase just surgical EQ, Stereo Widener, and Stereo Delay.

quite a chain, awesome man thanks for the info, I have a hard time paying enough attention to cleans but when they're well done like this, it's definitely enjoyable :Smokedev:

I really love the drums during the sections with blasting, and you can still hear the vocals perfectly over the drums. Nice work!