Best notation program (Vst(i) or rewire) to use with Reaper?

AD Chaos

MGTOW
Aug 3, 2009
Hello everyone,

After years of procrastinating I finally made the jump to Reaper, and I'm beyond impressed so far with how much better and intuitive Reaper is.

One thing that kept me from changing DAW though was the fact that Sonar has a MIDI staff view (at least version 8, which is what I use), whereas Reaper doesn't.

I've been reading a few (old) posts from the Reaper forum, but there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus on the best implemented staff solution to go along with Reaper. I'm a college musician and using a piano roll seems retarded to me for composing duties (just my personal preference, of course).

I'd like to use a 'transparent' and down-to-the-point staff program to put in channels with MIDI keyboards, do you guys know if there's something that works along nicely with Reaper, nowadays?

Thanks much for your opinions :)

Thanks much for the suggestion Jormyn, since MuseScore is a freebie, it won't hurt to try it out :)
I don't need any extremely complex notation anyway, just enough to edit some baroque type of stuff.

I was looking at Notion from PreSonus, v4 goes for $100 and the newer Notion 5 for $150, which seems like a good price, if it works as well as it looks:

http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/summer-namm-2014-presonus-notion-5/

It's advertised for using it along Studio One, but since it communicates through Rewire, I'm guessing it would work seamlessly with Reaper (even though it seems to need a bit of tweaking, from what I read).

Last edited by a moderator: