Most basic vst to use in Reaper to program drums while away from home?

philby82

Jan 13, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
Hey guys

My work has me travelling alot, and i was wondering if anyone knows of a basic vst i can load onto a small portable drive along with reaper so that i can program drums up at night for some of my songs?

It will be on a work laptop so i cant just load my copy of superior onto it, and i'm not looking for good drum sounds, just the ability to program the drums so when i get back home again i can upload the midi to the project?

Obviously i'l render an mp3 of the rest of the track prior to programming. Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers

Phil

Dude, get some good samples (Lasse's) and then get iZotope iDrum. No one talks about iDrum here but it makes programming drums retarded easy, it's just click, click, grab and drop.

Kontakt Player (the free one) comes with some light acoustic kits. You can also expand it with Steven Slate Drums EX, which is cheaper and sounds better than EZdrummer (another obvious choice).

Cheers guys

I dont want to go the ezx route because i already own sd2 with mf and trigger. Also i wont be running an external interface. Izotope idrum looked more like a fruity loops type programming situation, where i am happier using the piano roll in Reaper to do the programming. I was hoping to find a very basic kit (non layered) so it would run on a basic machine. Don't care how real it sounds, just something to kill time when im away, and that way when i get home i can just transfer the midi into the project and be ready to go.

I guess i'll hit google up when i get back home again.

Cheers

I was hoping to find a very basic kit (non layered) so it would run on a basic machine. Don't care how real it sounds, just something to kill time when im away, and that way when i get home i can just transfer the midi into the project and be ready to go.

Well, in that case you can easily make an entire drumkit sampler using multiple instances of ReaSamplOmatic5000, putting everything on a folder track and saving it as a track template.

Dude I can't believe that I'm the only one on this board that uses iDrum for programming drums. It's the easiest way to get quick results, waayyyy quicker than using the midi piano roll shit. iZotope deserves a medal for this extremely underrated plugin