Can I use my GuitarPort as a DI and use a VST pre-amp?

Robert W

May 13, 2009
N00b question here, but I can't really use POD Farm any more because of some weird undiagnosable sound/glitch related to gain/noise gates, so I was wondering I could just use my GuitarPort as a DI and load an amp VST like I would a cab impulse.

Also, is there a way to monitor cab impulses through Reaper so I don't have to record and playback each combo in order to hear it?

Yes, you can your GuitarPort (if it's settings are bypassed) and use VST amp sims.

Not really sure how to answer your second question.

Yes, you can your GuitarPort (if it's settings are bypassed) and use VST amp sims.

Not really sure how to answer your second question.

Would I just be able to plug in my GuitarPort, select nothing for a signal chain on POD Farm. and then just make a signal chain in the FX settings on Reaper as I would normally do w/ POD Farm?

If this is the case, would I be able to use POD Farm's dual tone mode as well?

Also, are there any free pre-amp sims out there for Engls or Oranges?

-Thanks

is there a way to monitor cab impulses through Reaper so I don't have to record and playback each combo in order to hear it?

You'll need to click on the little speaker icon above the "IN" button down by the pan slider at the bottom of the track in question so that the speaker is white and the background dark (the MONITOR INPUT position). You can also set it to automatic (a speaker with a tiny "A" in front of it) so it'll change to monitor your input or the track output without any action on your part.

You'll need to click on the little speaker icon above the "IN" button down by the pan slider at the bottom of the track in question so that the speaker is white and the background dark (the MONITOR INPUT position). You can also set it to automatic (a speaker with a tiny "A" in front of it) so it'll change to monitor your input or the track output without any action on your part.

I owe you, thanks!