Best of 2014 round up.

It's funny how on most metal forums half the population plays guitar and most on decent level. Why is that? Is being metalhead correlated with being perfectionist or just hardcore music lover?

It is a common conception that rockstar = the best there is. I mean, "hear this solo? how cool is it? I can do that" - there's always a bit of that philosophy, no denying.

ps: even the Morbid Funeral interviews, all that crap about how "we are the truest death metal!" - it's the same. Pride thing.

To hell with technical stuff, atmosphere rules :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of good discussion here. It's always fun and helpful to see everyone's year end picks. I'm surprised at the praise for the Agalloch record, as I think it was such a letdown from a usually strong, unique band. Behemoth's album was also pretty meh, especially compared to other extreme bands that put out albums like Dead Congregation. More still, Anathema's Distant Satellites was a huge disappointment for me. They really hit their stride on WHBWH and Weather Systems, and it seems like they tried hard to capitalize on that formula by rushing to release a new album so soon after the WS cycle. The result was less than inspired. Finally, I'm also surprised to see the lack of mention for Anubis Gate; their 2014 album is extremely impressive.

I'd put Casualties of Cool at number one and Nightingale up there as well. The latest one, Retribution is phenomenal. Also worth mentioning is Threshold and Enthroned, who both released quality stuff. 2015 should be great with bands like Arcturus, Omnium Gatherum, Wolfheart, Nokturnal Mortum and Katatonia all releasing new material. Just my .02.

Finally, I'm also surprised to see the lack of mention for Anubis Gate; their 2014 album is extremely impressive.

I tried listening to Horizons but I can't say it did much for me. It had some really good parts, but I found myself being unable to stick with a song all the way through. (The vocals were, unfortunately, a big part of the problem. I don't mind a dramatic performance by any means–big fan of Einar Solberg from Leprous–but these melodies didn't grab me.) That said, many thanks for the recommendation. I tend not to listen to much progressive metal, so it's nice to revisit and see what's going on in the genre.

- - -

Behemoth's album was also pretty meh, especially compared to other extreme bands that put out albums like Dead Congregation..

That's interesting, though I've heard a few people say something similar. I find the songwriting on The Satanist to be stellar, and it's easily my favorite Behemoth album, but I've only ever been a casual Behemoth fan, so take that thought with a grain of salt.

- - -

Another 2014 release I'm only just hearing is EXECRATION's Morbid Dimensions. Recommended.