best pickups

JesterRace

May 30, 2002
USA
Visit site
I've heard numerous different opinions on the best pickups to use for that saturated melodic death metal sound, maybe someone can clear this up for me.

My main axe is an ESP like the kirk hammett model without the skull and crossbone inlays. I have dual seymour duncan humbuckers on it, and I really like the dark sound that they put out. However people keep telling me that I need to get either
DiMarzio or EMG HZ's for it. Any ideas?

Screw the EMG HZ's. Get REAL EMGs.... 81, more smoother and flat eq'd, or the 85 which would be a little warmer and have more distortion.

If you're thinking about going passive, there's a whole world out there, and no one will have the same opinions... just better to try some of them out and see what you like....

Duncans aren't bad - many metal guitarists use them. I have no personal experience with them, but if you like the sound, there's no reason to switch IMO.

If you're considering EMG:

I agree w. Xeno that the 81 and the 85 are the nicest EMG models - I've been using those for years now. There are a few things you should be aware of if you switch to EMG's though:

If you have a guitar with two humbuckers, you might want to get two EMG's while you're at it - especially if you're one of those that actually use the neck pickup. The reason is that EMG's usually mate very poorly with passive mikes of other brands. If you never use the neck pickup ever, you can just do what I do: Get one EMG for the bridge position and disconnect the neck pickup from the rest of the wiring, so you don't get any weird interference.

Next funny thing: According to my experience, a guitar with one EMG is usually louder (and will cause more distortion) than one with two EMG's. The reason for this is probably the power source: Your guitar will be powered by a 9 volt battery, regardless of how many mikes you have. Even though the mikes probably have internal voltage regulation, I still think that a one-pickup axe sounds "hotter" than one with two. I've had sound techs staring at my guitar saying "This thing is DAMN loud! What have you done to it?!?" =)

The EMG 81 is the loudest of the EMG humbuckers (according to the EMG charts at least), and is generally regarded as the "lead" pickup. I actually like the EMG 85 "rhythm" pickup better - it has a warmer sound like Xeno said, and is not quite as loud as the 81, which gives it a more "guitary" sound. This is purely personal opinion, but I love an 85 in the bridge position.

For a while I had an EMG 58, which was a custom version of the 81 I think. It sounded warmer, much like an 85, but with all the output of the 81. I've been trying to get hold of another one of these, but they're impossible to find now.

Hmm, well...now that I've spoken about how great EMG's are, I still think that if you like your Duncans, by all means keep 'em. One option for trying out pickups is playing other people's guitars through your own rig. Of course you can't make your guitar sound exactly like theirs by just switching pickups, but at least you'll get a feel for how loud the pickups are and the general tone characteristics.

Other than that, I must say that I like the stock Jackson pickups a lot! Again, an EMG is louder and with more bottom end, but I think the Jacksons are perfectly adecuate for heavy metal playing in general.

Tip for EMG users:

Take another batteryclip, and solder it in series withe existing one and put in two 9volt batteries, if you have space. This should increase the headroom of the pickup, so your signal can be larger (hehehehehehehe), allegedly this works and is cool, haven't tried it, but the tip was given to me by someone who does a lot of custom guitars/repairs, so someone may want to try it.

Also means te batteries will last longer overall ;)

Originally posted by 7 Dying Trees
Tip for EMG users:

Take another batteryclip, and solder it in series withe existing one and put in two 9volt batteries, if you have space. This should increase the headroom of the pickup, so your signal can be larger (hehehehehehehe), allegedly this works and is cool, haven't tried it, but the tip was given to me by someone who does a lot of custom guitars/repairs, so someone may want to try it.

Also means te batteries will last longer overall ;)

Yeah but there was a difference if you wire the secondo battery in parallel or serial...

If you wire in serial you have a power source of 18V, and...WOW!!! The dinamic will growth and distortion too.

If you wire in parallel your power source remain at 9V but it live twice.

If you want added power, get the EMG PA-2 preamp... it's designed to power longer cables 20' or more, and will also boost the signal, which is a good thing if you have a tube amp.

Originally posted by xenophobe
If you want added power, get the EMG PA-2 preamp... it's designed to power longer cables 20' or more, and will also boost the signal, which is a good thing if you have a tube amp.

Due to the "flat eq" of the emg pickup...I prefer an equalization controll...and the PA-2 boost the signal to 20 db...it's too hot...I prefer to install the Pa-2 with Passive PIckups...

Yeah, it works in much the same way you would put a volume boost or overdrive in your signal chain before your preamp.

It also works good if you use a bunch of stompboxes and long cables.

Originally posted by Ishtar
Yeah but there was a difference if you wire the secondo battery in parallel or serial...

If you wire in serial you have a power source of 18V, and...WOW!!! The dinamic will growth and distortion too.

If you wire in parallel your power source remain at 9V but it live twice.

Pretty much yes, I'll have to ask about the series thing, but it shouldn't harm the pickups, more headroom though is good :)

Although EMG's tend to overpower the natural sound of the guitar. Good for some stuff, really lousy for other things.

Emg HZ's->AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!! Spend the extra cash and get proper ones.

Dimarzio's are nice, depends what you want your guitar to do, wether you want tight and clinical with gain, or tone saturated....

Originally posted by 7 Dying Trees
Pretty much yes, I'll have to ask about the series thing, but it shouldn't harm the pickups, more headroom though is good :)

Although EMG's tend to overpower the natural sound of the guitar. Good for some stuff, really lousy for other things.

Emg HZ's->AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!! Spend the extra cash and get proper ones.

Dimarzio's are nice, depends what you want your guitar to do, wether you want tight and clinical with gain, or tone saturated....

With my EMG 81 I can play rock, and with the 89 (dual mode...85 in humbucker, SA in single coil mode) Jazz too... :p It depend on your guitar wood and, Amp...But you can get Clean Sound only with a All Tube Amp...WIth solid state there is a bit of distortion...

I don't really like the clean sund out of EMG's, quite sterile... Woods and the like still make some difference, but not really as much as they do with passive pickups... Also you get nowhere near as nice dynamics as a passive. Great for distortion and metal heaviness though :D

I liked the 89, too bad the guitar with it in got nicked :(, still have them in another guitar. They are cool :)

My Hamer California Deluxe USA guitar has an EMG 89 pickup! It is so versatile! Its got the push pull volume knob! When you pull it up it has a really nice Single Coil Fender strat sound which really nice for clean sounds! Push it back down & it Rules for all out high gain Metal ampage! I love it!
I'm not very familar with Semour Duncan pick-ups! I've always wanted to try out the George Lynch Screamin demon pick-up!
I'm also curious about what that new Dimbag (diamond whatever) pick-up sounds like that Seymour also made!

What DiMarzio's have people around here used? I'd like to try some new pickups to get a sound that is different from my EMG-powered guitars.

I've been browsing DiMarzio's website, but according to their specs sheet, their hottest pickup has barely half the output compared to the EMG 81 (~510mV to 1.25V)? I thought that seemed odd.

Since I'd like to cut some bass frequency from the guitar, I was thinking that an 'X2N' in the bridge position and a 'Super2' at the neck would be a nice match...but I'm worried over how the guitar would sound clean with them in it.

I'm a big fan of Dimarzios. I use the X2N, Tone Zone, PAF, PAF Pro and Air Norton models. I almost always use the Air Norton or PAF as a neck model and the rest for bridge, they work well for metal and progressive styles and have enough room for personallity to shine out through the instrument and player.

But, if you like your Duncans keep them man. Even if you chenge them out, keep the pickups around, they have a way of sweetening with age.