Best power attenuator with a good line out?

AD Chaos

MGTOW
Aug 3, 2009
Hello

I'm looking for a power attenuator (8ohm) with a good line out (and also as transparent as possible for mic'ing), I'm leaning towards a Koch Loadbox II atm, kind of expensive, but seems worth it so far- been looking the past few days into this, not sure if there are better options out there though?

Here's a vid of the Koch (about the only one I could find)

Any opinion or advice, much appreciated really :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Digital and Brett

Well the Webers seem somewhat lacking in functions for what I'm looking for I think

That Torpedo looks nice but it's only sold in France? Too bad since I live across the pond :(
The guy on the vid says it's out since end of march (so, it just got out I guess) for @ $1200, but at the online store it goes for almost 2k
(I'm guessing it's $1200 for America)

Well that's a bit steep for something that has no reviews yet.. but it does look sexy

I'm surprised Djabthrash hasn't jumped all over the thread by now :lol:

For the life of me I cannot find an online store with it.. after about a minute of search or so :lol:

I guess it's easier to buy an actual torpedo

You can get them shipped anywhere, contact the manufacturer themselves and they can point you in the right direction.

I have a Weber Mass 200, it has a line out and it works whatever your impedance might be.
Feels very natural due to it's speaker resistance which is NOT static (as real speakers are), and thanks to it, I can finally crank up my beloved 100w Krank Head whenever I want.
It was around 200$ shipped to my door (from the U.S to Quebec). Check out his website (Google Ted Weber)

@Simon- about the Webers yes they seem to take various impedances BUT looks like one has to buy one for 25 Watt, another one for 50 Watt, another for 100W and so on.. not liking that at all.

Thanks Mike- I was just checking the US distributor http://www.diffusion-audio.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16675&category_id=345
and the VB-101 (the one with a loadbox) goes for $ 2650.00 USD..

I'm not biting that bullet without being VERY confident about the thing first.. I mean, it does look awesome, but..

..dunno, I still see the word simulations..
even if it'd be 'just' for the mics/air pushed.. sounds like paying for very expensive impulses..

@Simon- about the Webers yes they seem to take various impedances BUT looks like one has to buy one for 25 Watt, another one for 50 Watt, another for 100W and so on.. not liking that at all.

Not at all, a good 100W attenuator (for example) will work for pretty much everything you'll ever need. You just can't use a 50W attenuator if you plan on attenuating a 100W head down to whispering level. But otherwise it'll work just fine on any amp.

I'm sorry but that doesn't make much sense to me-

Why then do they offer each model with different wattages?

I'm sorry but that doesn't make much sense to me-

Why then do they offer each model with different wattages?

If you have a 20w amp, a 50w attenuator is plenty so you get that one,

If you have a 100W amp the 50W attenuator will die if you crank it so you need the 100w or better still the 200w model.

you buy what fits your needs

simple !

So, why not just selling/buying a standard 200w version and be done with it?
There's gotta be a reason, no?

(FWIW atm I need it for a Roadster, which is 100/50w-switchable. I'm saving up for a 20w and a 2w, so I could be using it for the 20 as well)

(FWIW atm I need it for a Roadster, which is 100/50w-switchable. I'm saving up for a 20w and a 2w, so I could be using it for the 20 as well)

price and features

and the VB-101 (the one with a loadbox) goes for $ 2650.00 USD..

I'm not biting that bullet without being VERY confident about the thing first.. I mean, it does look awesome, but..

..dunno, I still see the word simulations..
even if it'd be 'just' for the mics/air pushed.. sounds like paying for very expensive impulses..

Well, I'm using it a lot, and even did a reamping for Dennis Ward (Angra, Pink Cream 69...) with it and he said the guitars sounded great. Michael Waggener (no need to introduce him) also uses it a lot now.

That's what I did. But some other models have a lot more features, like eq, etc... on the Mass200 I have, I have a Treble compensation, wich adds a little more presence to the sound, wich is awesome when attenuating big time.
At the end of the day, it all comes down to the one that'll suits your needs. If you have a collection of amp heads ranging from 5 to 50W, go get a 75 or a 100W, and it'll work fine on all your gear. It'll sound REALLY fine, indeed, cuz you'll have access to magnificent power tube distortion at a level that won't cost you your hearing.

How about the Palmer PDI-03 or PGA-04? I think those do have some rep?
The best rated clip on netmusicians actually lists a 03:
http://www.netmusicians.org/?value=9478&section=id

Then again I heard a comparison here (57-03-IR) and the Palmer was the worst..

Thank you Brett, those are impressive references, indeed- I'm looking for something in the $600 range tops -at least to begin with- atm.
Sorry to keep on pushing this, but most related threads are from 2006-07, and I want to make an informed choice ;)