Best Power Metal Band? : 2nd Round

Wich one of these bands do you like the least??

• Nightwish

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Sonata Arctica

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Stratovarius

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Kamelot

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Blind Guardian

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Gamma Ray

• Hammerfall

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Rhapsody

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Angra

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Originally posted by sh0kr0k
I feel exactly the same damned way! Jeez, their music is awesome, but I hate the fact that the few women in the scene seem to think that they HAVE to sing "beautifully operatic and ethereal" BAH! :mad:

I think that's what I like about Dark Moor so much! .....

~Sh0k~

What other female singers in metal are operatic?

Originally posted by SculptedCold
Iced Earth isn't power metal man.

Thats what the rest of the world classiffies them as, what do you?

From the BNR Metal Pages:

Iced Earth
Origin: Florida, USA
Last Update: August 29, 2001

Iced Earth have progressed from a promising but ordinary Iron Maiden-styled band (see the debut) to a major force in American-made power metal, mixing classic 80's metal with some modern touches. Most would agree that the band is getting better with each release, as recent releases such as The Dark Saga and Something Wicked demonstrate. Fresh from guitarist Jon Schaffer's work in Demons & Wizards, and armed with a new rhythm section, the new album, The Horror Show, has been released to strong reviews.

So there it is.

yeah,why do people say IE is power metal and thrash metal?
I think they are far from thrash,tho a little bit closer to power

I will admit Nightwish is almost a guilty pleasure for me...but I do like them. While there are a ton of women doing th eoperatic vocals behind power metal (sort of) very few that i've heard pull it off well (Kim Goss always was awful!), not to mention few bands I can think of have music that grabs me for more than a moment. Her voice and their music has always seemed to fit to me...but that's me. As for Iced Earth being Power Metal...I dont know, i don't care...IE, Steel Prophet, Nevermore, these bands are heavy metal to me, that is all that matters. I know they don't sound like Helloween, though...

I mention Steel Prophet and Nevermore because they are also US bands that keep getting referred to as Power Metal, although they are considerably darker or different than what you typically hear from PM bands...right.

-Eric

Well, if you find Nevermore to "suck", way to go. I like them, personally, Dead Heart... had some excellent songs, Believe in nothing was incredibly melodic and well written. You are correct though, in as far as such things as labels go, they aren't power metal. They do, however keep getting labelled as "US Power Metal".

Well maybe US Power Metal is different from other Power Metal then...
I cant really stand their kind of music, just punding on a guitar like it was some cheap ass boxing bag doesnt sound very good...

I mean, really the term "US Power Metal" is just as worthless as death metal bands calling themselves "Ithyphallic Metal" or something contrived like that when they sound like Morbid Angel...I dont really care, in the end about all of these labels. Although ican say, as a guitarist, that Nevermore has alot of talent. Jeff Loomis is quite amazing actually, both the riffing and lead work on many Nevermore songs are quite impressive...

Originally posted by grandbazaar
mm, you wanted to vote against iced earth? ....
you people don't read the question...

keeping track manually than....

keep track :

Nightwish is at 3
Sonata arctica 1
Hammerfall 4
Rhapsody 1
Gamma Ray 1
Angra 1

TOTAL VOTES: 11

Hmh... I didn't notice it was at least... :p These threads are confusing, aren't they?

EDIT: After watching options, my vote goes to Kamelot. So, "erase" my old vote from Sonata Arctica.

By the way, I can usually be civil about these things, but anyone voting for Blind Guardian to go is a miserable excuse for a human being. :lol: