Best practice amp/simulator?

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
I'm looking to get into playing guitar more regularly again. Since I'm currently without an amp, and just about everything short of software amp sims, I'm on the look out for a practice hardware amp modeler or something of the like that can be used for jamming, practice and maybe even guide tracks.

I know they're quite dated and the sound isn't the most realistic out there, but the only unit that springs to mind is the PODxt. The requirement is that it be a hardware unit, as I want to be able to jam along with tracks and whatever else, without needing to set up Cubase or any VSTs. Quick and easy.

Any suggestions?

i use my old pod 2 at home when i cant be arsed to turn a computer on or lately, Eleven; it sounds AWESOME

Revalver has a standalone program, including the HP version ($99 US). Otherwise I'd say PODxt fo sho Ermz. Just downloaded the 15-day iLok trial of PODfarm and I'm actually digging it for dicking around or scratch tracks. Very light CPU load as well, had 8 instances running at once in C4 and barely hitting. Also $99US, btw. Only problem is that without a dongle such as a bean, toneport, etc. you can't use it standalone, even though the iLok one comes with it... :err:

Copied from another thread:

My Roland Cube 30 is undoubtedly the best sounding and most convenient practice amp I've ever played, with the possible exception of the Peavey Vypyr, but I've heard those can be finnicky in terms of reliability and problems booting up (believe it or not, now you have to worry about an amp not booting up). It dominates any of the Voxes or Line 6's out there though (I compared them when I was shopping for a practice amp with my friend)

And to continue, I have the little guy sitting next to my guitar stand next to my desk, so whenever I feel the urge to RIFF they're both within arm's reach and I can blast some tunes through my monitors to set the mood! :D

The Vypyr definitely has bootup problems on occasion...but for a practice amp I can live with it. I've been meaning to throw a mic on mine to see how it records as it sounds great in the room (I have the 30 watt version).

My Vox DA-5 is also quite killer...pretty much their version of the microcube. I have it sitting next to my bed for those lazy times when I just want to riff it up while lying down.

I'm thinking the V-amp or PODxt may be the go here because I don't really need an amp (no matter how little) taking up any more space in this cramped room. It would also be nice to have something to do guide tracks with that didn't rely on VST amp sims (go right into PT).

I'll check out the V-amp first, and if it's too horrid, maybe consider the trusty ol PODxt!

I'm thinking the V-amp or PODxt may be the go here because I don't really need an amp (no matter how little) taking up any more space in this cramped room. It would also be nice to have something to do guide tracks with that didn't rely on VST amp sims (go right into PT).

I'll check out the V-amp first, and if it's too horrid, maybe consider the trusty ol PODxt!

DSS3 has a pod xt he's selling Ermz, dont know if its gone yet though mate probably very unlikely sold considering this was just 3 days ago.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/off-topic-tavern/504998-fs-podxt-bean.html

Yeah that would be great, but I'd need the Aussie power supply for it, which the local retailers wanted to charge me $150 for last time. So it'll have to be a local buy.

Fuck that, they are 20 quid here lol! I have the xt pro which is kettle lead, but i know the Bean takes just a 9V PSU and draws 2000ma. So you're good with pretty much any 9v adapter you can find Ermz, and im willing to bet you've got some hanging around :lol:

You know that the amps do not matter btw, as long as your PSU can supply greater than 2000ma (2A) the device at hand will draw only what it needs.

Copied from another thread:

My Roland Cube 30 is undoubtedly the best sounding and most convenient practice amp I've ever played, with the possible exception of the Peavey Vypyr, but I've heard those can be finnicky in terms of reliability and problems booting up (believe it or not, now you have to worry about an amp not booting up). It dominates any of the Voxes or Line 6's out there though (I compared them when I was shopping for a practice amp with my friend)

And to continue, I have the little guy sitting next to my guitar stand next to my desk, so whenever I feel the urge to RIFF they're both within arm's reach and I can blast some tunes through my monitors to set the mood! :D

I love mine too. Did you ever try the line out for clean tones?

You can check PocketPOD (really small pod that works with batteries)
pocketpod.jpg

or the even cheaper version PocketPOD Express
killer+ant+pp+express.JPG

Maybe something with pedals would be more fun than a PODxt for practice and jamming, so I also could reccomend FloorPOD (there´s also a "plus" version of it)
floor-pod.jpg

If you really don´t want spend $ there´s also X-Vamp (never played on X-Vamp, but I know that it´s VERY cheap)
DSC04741.JPG

Well, the Pocket POD is really cheap to begin with. If I really wanted something really small, I'd get one of those.

Save your-self some trouble and get the peavey vypyr 15 watt. It's cheap as hell ($99) and it sounds a lot better than any POD ever will. It's based on the revalver MK III emulation engine and uses an analog distortion circuit so it doesn't sound as digitalized as a POD or line 6. It's not very good for recording, but for playing in your bedroom or just messing around (I have the vypyr 30 and it's loud enough to jam with a pretty loud drummer, haven't tried with a bassist or vocalist yet) and it actually sounds damn good.