Best preamps/conversion for price range <500-700 USD

RedDog

Humanoid typhoon
Sep 7, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma.
I was thinking of the focusrite Scarlett, but I don't know about the conversion, as there isn't a lot of feedback on it. A&H may be a good bet as well, buuuut there a couple RME's on ebay I might snag and I really want to build some pre's of my own.

First things first, conversion. specifically for that price range. I don't know what to look for so I'm asking you guys. What you got.

The Scarlett range stuff was so bad I returned it, first thing ever. But the Saffire range has been nothing but great for me.

If we're talking about conversion, I (and many others) liked newer RME conversion more than UA's Apollo in the blind test I listened to not long ago. And Apollo is praised as fuck out there.

Used Babyface or UCX will give you a really nice conversion IMO and they're in the price range. Maybe a tiny bit more for the UCX. Not many popping up though but lurk around the gearslutz's classifieds. I checked for prices and saw a BF for $550 at the time I was selling mine.

you can get at least 2 used motu 828 mk2's for that money which gives you a hell lot of inputs if you chain them. i bought a second one on ebay for about 200&#8364;. in the saffire range i tried the old pro 26 or what it is called and liked the motu a bit more but that was a while ago. the two on-board pres on the motu are shit tho.