Best real amp + impulses clip?

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

I'm trying to prove the point that cabinet modeling has taken us a long way from the old algorithmic method.

What is the very best clip you know of to show off a real amp sound with modeled cab? Didn't CJWall do a crazy one with the fireball a while back?

Cheers!

Man, I just remembered I have an MP-1 laying around here that I could be experimenting with!! Due to some clips I heard on here a while back I really want a Peavey Rockmaster and an Engl e530. It seems like the best sounds have been with a dedicated guitar preamp unit, especially the Engl. As soon as PayPal stops being gay I will have a Krank Rev Jr. to experiment with. Then Recabinet 1.0 should be out in the next few weeks... it's an impulse party :)

~006

Ive using impulses with my 5150 for a while now, it gets better and better =)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=867006

wow jesus christ. those sound damn good. makes me want to switch back from powerball/savage to 5150/xxx

sorry for the stupid question. Im sure ill get hate mail for asking but can someone explain how these work and get me started what i need to buy and legally download to get started using impulses.

Well, personally I can get a much better sound with impulses (except for palm mutes, which still sound weak with impulses vs. real cab) than micing a real cab :lol: But my room isn't the greatest for guitar recording :p

sorry for the stupid question. Im sure ill get hate mail for asking but can someone explain how these work and get me started what i need to buy and legally download to get started using impulses.

Search for "Impulse FAQ" in the production tips subforum, MAYBE SOMEDAY BRETT WILL STICKY IT!!!!!!! ;)

Ermin

It might not be the best tone, but if you are interested in how close an Impulsed tone can sound to a Mic'd tone here is a comparison of Mic'd cab versus Impulse I did the other day. I recorded the Mic'd clip and Preamp signal at the same time, made an impulse out of it and applied the Impulse to the Preamp signal. There is a difference but I am curious if most people could pick out of say 20 samples which was Mic'd and which was Impulsed correctly for more than 50% of the samples? Here is a one sample blind test, maybe easy to guess with only a single sample but in a bunch of 20 samples, it would be interesting I think.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/ec892058-cc65-41ca-8359-1849529e77b7/2

http://www.esnips.com/doc/f4903b6b-2997-4a06-bc19-c101238e5413/1

So which is Mic'd and which is Impulsed?

In both clips the Guitars are absolutely RAW, no EQ, HP/LP, etc...

Ermin if it is not OK for me to post these particular samples let me know and I will remove them.

I vote #2 as the real one definitely, it sounds more defined in the palm mutes, but still, if I didn't have them right next to each other to directly A/B, I don't think I'd be able to tell!

Very close! I can't make my mind up on those. Just when I think there is a difference, I lose it and can't decide.

My ears at the moment aren't the best to make that call atm (post gig threshold shift), which I guess proves a point of someone with "average ears" not being able to tell the difference.

wow... that just sold me on impulses. the only way you would be able to tell that one isnt a mic is if you told them that one isnt.....

you also have to remember that 99% of the people listening to music have no idea or just don't care as long as it sounds good.

You're more than welcome to use that clip.

I'd go with #2 as being real also. #1 has that 'stuck mid-flange' sound to me, which all impulses do (man, will I bite it if I'm wrong). Unfortunately they never move with the tone, hence my constant advocacy of Nebula 3 when trying new samples. I was actually going to ask you, GH, whether you'd want to try doing some impulses using their NAT3 modeler? The tone between the real and impulse'd clip vary a significant bit. Either the volumes aren't quite matched, or some tone appears to be getting lost in the process.

Thank you all for the posts.