Best riff maniac ??

Jimmy Page - Led Zeppelin. Black Dog was the reason I picked up the guitar.
Tom Morello - RATM... WOW, great riffs.
Ritchie Blackmore - Deep Purple
Tony Iommi - Sabbath... he practically invented heavy riffs as we know them today.
Alexi Laiho - Bodom
And Mr. Romeo, of course. All bow before the main riff of Smoke and Mirrors!

Michael Romeo (Symphony X)
John Petrucci (Dream Theater)
Michael Amott (Arch Enemy)
John Schaffer (Iced Earth)
Andre Olbrich (Blind Guardian)
Michael Romeo.. (Dark Chapter)
Old School Kirk Hammet (Metallica)
Chuck Schuldner (Death)
Erkekjetter Silenoz (Dimmu Borgir)

Thats all i can think of for now, but there are many more.

I'm gonna have to disagree with kirk hammett. I mean, i am totally bias against metallica, but at least go with hetfield over hammett... hetfield was at one time a great rhythm guitarist... kirk was always just kinda crappy imo.

There are some utterly divine riffs on the new Edge Of Sanity CD ('Crimson II'), and I mean UTTERLY AMAZING. Even the riffs stolen from 'Crimson' sound 100x better. Dan Swano is a musical genius.

Some of my faves:

Michael Romeo
Chuck Schuldiner (Death, R.I.P.)
Doug Cerrito/Terrence Hobbs (Suffocation)
Daniel Mongrain (Martyr)
Jeff Loomis (Nevermore)
Jeff Waters (Annihilator - those Jeffs rule! :headbang: )
Dave Mustaine (Rust in peace aera)

Regarding Kirk, I don't know how you can even mention him. He never wrote any riffs for Metallica. Typically, Hetfield was the composer, and Lars & Hetfield were the arrangers. Burton used to write too, and Mustaine when he was in the band. But Kirk only came up with solos, and those aren't "riffs"...

Naw odinscourt... Kirk ripped off mustaine's solos (rather poorly... if you can get your hands on the "bay area thrasher's" bootleg with mustaine on guitar, you can kinda here how the solo's should have gone)

Jeff Loomis - Nevermore - stuff off of DNB and DHiaDW is crushing.
Micheal Romeo - the stuff off the Oddyssey pretty scary too.
Jimmy Page - he came up with some timeless stuff.
John Petrucci - DT - more crunchy goodness.

theodyssey said:
Naw odinscourt... Kirk ripped off mustaine's solos (rather poorly... if you can get your hands on the "bay area thrasher's" bootleg with mustaine on guitar, you can kinda here how the solo's should have gone)
According to Kirk, he used the solos Mustaine wrote for Kill Em' All as a base for his solos. Take that as you will :D

Ultimate_Symphony said:
According to Kirk, he used the solos Mustaine wrote for Kill Em' All as a base for his solos. Take that as you will :D

Kirks solos would be half bearable to listen to if he didnt use that FREAKIN DAMN WAH PEDAL for every note...anger rising.....grrr... :yell:

lol poor kirk. well, when i saw metallica in summer sanitarium, i was surprised to see that he played all the old solos perfect, and most important of all without using that aweful WAHWAH pedal.