Testament (or Eric): The riff masters of all time?

Epica

May 4, 2003
Lost and Damned
Visit site
For me, Eric Peterson is the riff master of all times, he has written more incredible riffs than both my fingers and toes (my fingers and toes like to write riffs, get it? Hahahaha!). Since he's the rythm guitar player, I guess he writes most of the riffs, right? Well, Kirk wrote the Enter Sandman riff, what do I know, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, for me, the best riff ever is the main riff in Trial by Fire. No band has ever written a better riff than this one, IMO.

What is your opinion in this? (Yes, I'm a "what's your opinion" kind of guy :cool: )

Well there isn't any particulair "riffmaster" for me.... there are "several" though ;)

-Chuck Schuldiner (definately ONE OF THE BEST), BOTH solos and riffs.

Eric Peterson, well need I say more?

James Hetfield, perhaps the new shit will suck and the riffs aswell... don't matter shit.. old metallica is fucking classic... "One" baby! :headbang:

-Jon Schaffer, The man writes awesome riffs.. and yeah alot of them sound alike.. but he sure knows how to time them and make them still different from all the others.

Iomi: Well c'mon .... Black fucken Sabbath ;) :headbang:

Why did you mention Kirk? I don't get it :confused: Eric is indeed a very good riff writer, but definitively not my favorite.

Same here , I have many many riffmasters / influences , but I just name the ones that come to my head right away.....

James Hetfield ( I owe alot to early metallica)
Eric Peterson
Kerry King
Diamond "Dimebag" Darrell
Dave Mustaine
Chuck Schuldiner
Jim Durkin / Eric Meyer (Dark Angel guitarists, riff-a-holics)

Testament Legions said:
Honorable Mentions:

Tommy Victor

Didn´t know TL likes Swiss Metal hehe ;-)

Riffmasters:

Eric, Alex, James
James & Kirk
Dave Mustaine
Pepper Keenan
Rob Flynn (the early stuff)
the Entombed guitarists
the In Flames guitarists
the The Haunted guitarists
the Sentenced guitarists
the Amorphis guitarists
Greg Mackintosh (old Paradise Lost stuff)
Kerry & Jeff
Jeff Loomis & Tim Calvert
K.K. & Glen
Bobby Gustaffson
Juan Garcia (Agent Steel, Evildead)
Greg Ian Fulton (Cyclone Temple, Znöwhite)
Criss Oliva
Jeff Waters
Dimebag
etc.

Dave Murray
Adrian Smith
Chuck Schuldiner
Mille Petroza
Thomas Vetterli
Phil Demmel
Gary Holt
Mike Torrao
Dave Mustaine
Glenn Alvelais
Hank Sherman
Michael Denner

No offense at all to him, but these guys all blow away anything Eric Peterson has ever written.
If you dont know who they are, then its not surprising you wont agree
dozey.gif

Hetfield
Peterson
Keenan
Iron Maiden Team
Mustaine
Cavalera
Cavestany
Slayer Team
Suicidal Tendencies Team

in this order

If i HAD TO chose my favourite riff that would be the first riff of "Riding the snake"

James Hetfield
Dave Mustaine
KK Downing/Glenn Tipton
Steve Harris (before he got uncreative)
Jon Schaffer (showing signs of the same)
Scott Ian/Charlie Benante
DD Verni/Blitz
Tony Iommi
Hank Shermann
Kerry King/Jeff Hanneman
Jeff Loomis

Oh, and Eric, of course. After the first couple, that's in no real order.

Fave Testament riff...Hail Mary has a shitload of great ones, Disciples of the Watch is of course brilliant, and Riding the Snake is the shit. So those three...my three fave Testament songs, uncoincidentally.

Testament Legions said:
Rhythm Guitar is my most fave instrument in metal (with Lead Guitar a close second).

My list of fave "Riffmasters" in no particular order:

Eric Peterson
James Hetfield
Dave Mustaine
Kerry King

Honorable Mention:

Tommy Victor
Tommy Vetterli aka Tommy T. Baron

hell yeah!!!!!
Tommy Vetterli rules......

btw, your list is damn good.......

Testament Legions said:
Actually... I think you mean Tommy Vetterli aka Tommy T. Baron of ex-Coroner/Kreator, and THANKS for reminding me, because he should be on my "honorable mention" list :D!!!

Tommy Victor is the leader/guitarist of Prong.

*lol* for fuck´s sake how could I mix Vetterli and Victor up ... I must have been drunk ;-) Yeah I meant Vetterli from Coroner ... pretty damn good music !!!

Testament Legions said:
Hey, you still impressed me :)! Some people forget that Coroner is a Swiss band!

thank you man ;-) I live in Germany, 5 minutes from the Swiss Border, so it´s not that difficult to remember Coroner was a Swiss band hehe ... though I was always into Bay Area Thrash than into European (Thrash) Metal :headbang:

Well, most of my favorite axe masters were previously listed.

Dimebag is probably at #1, simply for the complexity of his shit. (Dirty tunings, speed, crazy trem bar moves)

Alex or Eric would have to be second. Speaking of which, who wrote the solo's for Return to Serenity and Disciples of the Watch? Quite possibly my 2 favorite riffs of all time, especially in Disciples when in the middle of a solo he hits those 4 natural harmonics. Crazy shit.

My favs:

James Hetfield
Dave Mustaine
Tony Iommi
Dave Murray
Adrian Smith
Chuck Schuldiner
Phil Demmel
Gary Holt
Jensen
Anders Bjorler
Eric Peterson