Best Rock mix so far

AaronDylan

another diamond recording
Feb 18, 2011
munich germany
Ladies n Gentlemen!

just wanted to share a song with you guys i mixed!
there´s a video coming up soon that has been shot already!
will post it as soon as its edited!

Do you have any kritik? or something you would do different for this mix?
I will be recording their 5 song ep in a month and would like to do it quite the same just better...

what do you think??

aaron

Last edited by a moderator:
Way too smashed.
Hurts my ears to listen to it for more than 10 seconds.

Yeah
Way to compressed

Let the song breathe more
When things pick up after the intro it should be louder, the volume should flow just as much as the songwriting and performances whereas right now everything is just one volume the whole way through the song which not only hurts to listen to but is a detriment to the music itself. Dynamics are incredibly important.

Although the modern standard may be to crush the life out of everything during mastering, it doesn't mean you should necessarily follow that. If anything I'd use it as an opportunity to break the paradigm and say "here's how it's done."
If clients give you shit about a master not being loud enough here's what you do:

You take your loud master and your quiet master, drop 'em into a project file together.
Turn down the louder one until, to your ears, it sounds around the same volume, now send them both of the masters to compare (make sure the filenames don't give away which is which of course.)

ok gareth!

know what you mean now! i´m not a pro at mastering yet! but i will try pull some stuff down maybe with automation and will play arround with the tresholds a bit!
I remember your masters for ywtcs decisions was loud as fuck too though! probably you changed your habit´s.
thank you for everything i wish i could mix as good as you man.

They were louder than what I would prefer to do, but they were all fairly conservative compared to mainstream releases.

i agree with that! it was some good work anyway!

will it help pulling down the treshold´s of the multiband comp??
i´ll give it a try tomorrow! you probably saved me from fuckin up real bad and im really thankfull ... i just thought i couldn´t be loud enough shame on me..

well the point of compresion is to give the mix room not to kill it and for the limiters try use different limiters and see who will work good for u.i use two limiters to make it enough loud and not kill it :) and no problem :)