Best Rush album post-Moving Pictures?

I just got "Hold your Fire" yesterday... actually, it´s just typical 80s rock fare, but Rush, as always, do it with as much style and as good as it can be.
Alex´ guitar sounds elegant and does contribute to the songs, no matter how hard it is to hear at times. Geddy´s voice has really matured compared to their older discs, and his bass is PUMPIN´ IT! Really reminds me where Ed got his inspiration from time to time. :)
Early song favourites include "Force Ten", "Prime Mover" and "Time Stands Still", where the uncertain melancholy reminds me of Enchant tunes such as "In the Dark" sometimes.

As I´m absolutely loving the song "Nobody´s Hero" right now, I think I´m gonna get "Counterparts" next.

Counterparts FTW baby!!

GREAT album!!
:headbang:

Here's my quick and easy way to check out Rush if you are looking to get into them. In the "good ol' days" they did a live album after every four studio ones. So, I look at their studio releases as chapters in time. 1974-1976 (4 albums), 1977-1981 (4 albums), 1982-1987 (4 albums) and 1989-1996 (4 albums). If you want the popular classic album of each "chapter" get the fourth release of each one: 2112, Moving Pictures, Hold Your Fire and Test For Echo. If you are more adventurous (like I am) and want to know what fueled the fire for the popular release then, Caress Of Steel, Permanent Waves, Power Windows and Counterparts.

I got to say though that I have been waking up everyday to Geddy saying "Hey" from the song Scars on Presto for years now and I love that album. My all time Rush faves are Caress Of Steel and Permanent Waves. For the newer stuff, my favorites would be Power Windows and Presto.

Love Rush and always will! I have to mention that the best time of my life was being on stage and jamming with Rik Emmett and Alex Lifeson last year in Toronto. That was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Hold your fire...

Why???

I've heard "Force Ten" here on a Dutch radio station 20 years ago (wow...I'm getting really old:Smug: ) and I was sold....

Two days later I bought the album and since then I've followed their path...

"Vapor Trails" was one of their "worst" albums, but now they are back!

"Snakes and Arrows" sound real good in my opinion and it goes back to their early sound...

Can't wait to see them on October 16th in Rotterdam....:headbang:

P.

Grace Under Pressure is my favorite post Moving Pictures album for sure, but second place is probably a tie between Presto and Hold Your Fire. Hold Your Fire might edge out over Presto because I've grown a little tired of it's second half.

Why the hell have they never played the song Presto live?!?!? This always frustrated me.

Not very technical myself - I know nothing about his different basses..

BUT....I would have to say that his style on his solo CD, 'My Favorite Headache' is MY favorite bass sound/style....especially the intro to track 1.

I still hold Signals as my fave post MP album. There is not one song I don't like on that album. I absolutely love the synth period. With that said, 'Subdivisions' is my favorite song of all time from ANY band. I can honestly say that I have heard that song easily at least 3k-4k times. That song epitomizes perfect songwriting to me. The perfect blend of synth, bass, gtr...amazing drumming (as to be expected ;))...fantastic production. I still get chills every time I hear them come out of the solo back into the chorus...Geddy's vox are top notch. I'll stop now... :)

I also love GUP. 'The Enemy Within' still kicks my ass. It goes in order of release from there.

As many have commented that the 90's weren't the best period for Rush, I too, am also not a huge fan of the 90's albums. I like particular tracks, but that's about it.

As "a show of hands" was my first meeting with rush i arrived in the synth-phase of the band. And that's where i still like to be the most:
1. hold your fire
2. presto
3. power windows
4. signals
5. grace under pressure
6. roll the bones
7. counterparts
:headbang: