Best Screamer

Sabin Frost

Doom makes me happy
Apr 21, 2007
South Australia, Australia
Best Screamer, growler, grunter, shreiker, whatever you call it, your favourite or who you believe the most proficient/influential extreme vocalist.

For me,

Frank Mullen of Suffocation (legible, deep, bludgeoning, the first of its sort)

Mikael Akerfeldt (I know he gets mentioned in every thread, but Morningrise is undoubtably great as far as vocals are concerned)

Rowan London of Virgin Black (Does not growl much, but you sit up and take notice when he does)

Anders Jacobsson of Draconian (spoken poet and guttural death growl expert)

Least Favourite,

Dani Filth (The only emotion I ever get from his voice is dismay at having scorpions on his balls)

I will add some Black Metal vocalists later.

Chris Reifert of Autopsy
Craig Pillard of Incantation
LG Petrov of Entombed
Lee Dorrian of Napalm Death/Cathedral
Jeff Walker of Carcass (even though he probably uses effects)

Scream:
Sir Noktu Geiistmortt (Mortifera)
Nattramn (Silencer)

Scream / growl:
Cain (Perimeter)

shit vocalist IMO

deteriorot and immolation have much better vocalists with similarly styled music.

Leaving aside the fact that the three bands sound pretty much nothing alike, Craig Pillard was far and away the best vocalist of his generation of death metal: there's a reason that pretty much everyone since the early 90s has ganked his style.

Leaving aside the fact that the three bands sound pretty much nothing alike, Craig Pillard was far and away the best vocalist of his generation of death metal: there's a reason that pretty much everyone since the early 90s has ganked his style.
I prefer Will Rahmer over him and Immolation's vocals.
Glen Benton and Chris Barnes for traditional lows, Dallas Toler Wade is really good too, George Fisher's been growing on me.
David Vincent for Mid Growls(is that right, or is he low?)
Will Rahmer, Karl Sanders, and Chris Barnes again for super lows.
I like Frank Mullen's super lows on Effigy better than the traditional lows on Pierced, I think they're good there just badly overrated, I can name a few better growlers.
Satyr for rasps, Varg Vikernes and Maniac for screams, Ihsahn for whatever the hell he does on Anthems, IX, and Prometheus(a croak maybe), and also the high growl/scream on Nightside.
Isn't Silencer's vocals like that of Maniac?