Best solos ever

TrapsMaster

Dec 31, 2012
What are the best solos you`ve ever heard?

My personal:

Symphony X - Heretic, The Divine Wings of Tragedy, Seven, Sea of Lies, Bastards of the Machine, The Walls of Babylon

Iron Maiden - Lord of Light, The Nomad, Aces High, The Mercenary, No More Lies, Seventh Son of the Seventh Son

Metallica - My Friend of Misery, Phantom Lord

OverKill - Ironbound, Goodnight

Nightwish - Crownless

Judas Priest - Painkiller

Dream Theater - A Rite of Passage, The Shattered Fortress (intro), Octavarium (intro)

I don`t include SX intros, because 90% of them is amazing. I will add more songs and bands later, because now I don`t remember titles.

Easily Devin Townsend's Deep Peace. Incredible emotional solo in an incredible emotional song on an incredible emotional album - Terria.

my favorite guitar solo is this one (listen to the entire thing including the build-up for "maximum effect" ;))

this guitar solo is also sick as hell, and delivered live too (2:30 onward for solo)

the violin solos in this song

Last edited by a moderator:
I have way too many to list...one that sticks out in my mind right now is the one on Options & Opinions, from Geoff Mann's Second Chants. I don't actually know who plays it...maybe Marc Cately.

Can't find a youtube video of it, might upload one myself once I get access to the album. It's like a weird Robert Fripp/Steve Hackett mashup, totally beautiful

There are so many, so I'll post two at a time.

Scorpions:

1. The Sails of Charon

2. Fly to the Rainbow

3 come to mind for me instantly, in order:

Reckless Fable's (aka Steve Vai) solo in Bob Harris' tune "Western Vacation"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0sUnbGtiU&ytsession=mrkK_bsu8zsICPdvihji-FUFJDPniekj3M82q7AlmR4_HGMhXdohp0B4LrADG5b9TRnOm7KR2lJ5mc0-W95R-jAMgZTawl_9pbyfXPqDhQOwENDJWR-7DAiaCMiETj65C0j9G4X7fkGHlGgMJPq7XFqtQEj3Vlm-iJPiDamohXxjFZd7EdkR5kf8ZHSUMCY2Ph2StcYZ9bfdiRyqo3lZf7i9rr2XQMkEJhiX31M71HqVH2OxV7tk0h1FdWNhBKNTeMFc5gL5ABPZHJuYIF4reHTDJ_3cUWZx0bglSStoGKK77K-KwPEh7p-zJh6rSqrM8gXaEkqzU_LRqWSV4EVNBYWVizpZs0qrder7Yn3jpjMthLgGIJuYzVoDqeH8zlFmq1sGclBlkUKtVh-etYE7Cnuo0IzfFRwvxdgc0rchxE:rofl:ZRQE44M_tHA9sSi3tfSuykejJLJvH8NnpxYMHULUjVG8q3MWHIruLmCfhrBJdcj5YQgzjrkcxJEtx4MonXXlkECRYa-eJ7IVg76QS9iUUWatDe3f2Nol7BWvYg4iQojT9ApJOEsyiIjGzCaH8U8XLQi2Wrse1K8MJqNwZLm5aq5mXVK8XN2yFHIc10VqtyLPY-V5WaVqViWHjLhIHR93siFD0kk1l7E2EI1peJqVvbbXtA618oWMoakRXD03xIF2dq6KHnq-dTIpFItgnSvgd50SbPW69qI[/ame]

Rory Gallagher - Follow Me from the live Stage Struck cd/album

Steve Vai - For the Love of God

All give me goose bumps to this day.......

I'll just name a few, I feel this list could go on and on.

- Ending solo in Venus Isle by Eric Johnson (can't find it on youtube sorry)

- (Per Nilsson's solo, 3:30)

- (1:20, holy fucking shit)

The last 2 were probably my favorite solos when I was just starting guitar. 10 years later, I still think they're awesome.

- (Vito Bratta's solo, 2:18)

- (guest solo by some unkown guy, 1:27)

Got to say I enjoyed immensely most of you guys' picks.