Best supprot

WILKS

Sep 9, 2002
Underground
Visit site
I Have noticed a lot of chat about supprt bands so here are some of the best i have seen.
Black Crowes(supporting DogsDamour)
PWEI(Wonderstuff)
Levellers(NMA)
Blaggers ITA(PWEI)
Machine GunFeedback(cant remember)
Wolfsbaine(Maiden)
More when i remember.

A lot of the times when I used to go to Apollo, I would miss out the support band completely unless it was a band that I knew were half dedcent or someone had recommended them to me. That was the good thing about the Apollo, I usually always had round about 4th row seats in the stalls and if you didn't fancy seeing support band, you could just go in about 5 mins before the band came on and you're seat was waiting for. Right enough, no-one ever sat down in the seats but you were guaranteed your good view.

Some of the good support bands I saw were:-

Samson supporting Whitesnake
Tygers of Pan Tang supporting Gillan
White Spirit supporting Gillan
Budgie supporting Gillan
Raven supporting Girlschool
Tank and Girlschool supporting Angel Witch

Praying Mantis supporting Tygers of Pan Tang - it might have been Tygers supporting Mantis, not too sure, it was yonks ago and it's just a blurry memory but I'm sure it was Mantis supporting Tygers, cos they were always the bigger band but not necessary the better band in my opinion cos it was Mantis I mainly went to see.

I'll think on cos I'm sure there must be a lot more decent support bands that I saw.

Diamond Head supporting Megadeth
Dream Evil supporting Saxon
Syth supporting Blaze

and that's about it. Support acts have a tendency to suck. If I ever need to see Viking Skull or Mendeed again I will storm the stage and kill every one of them.

I guess they weren't really supporting as much as co-headlining, but there was not opening act.

Motörhead opening for Dio and Maiden.

princess_of_the_night2112 said:
And also The Scorpions when they were Very Special Guests of Judas Priest.

Absolutely!! Dare I say, although I thoroughly enjoyed Judas Priest, I liked The Scorps bit better :)

How about the worst?! O/D Saxon supporting Dio in London a while back...can't remember the exact date.

SAXON SUPPORTING PRIEST @ BRIXTON !

Waysted supporting Maiden - 1985 ????????

Cheap Trick supporting Motley Crue - 1986

Skid Row and White Lion supporting Motley Crue - 1988

Ratt supporting Ozzy - 1986

Sepultura supporting Slayer a few years back

Killing Joke supporting Crue earlier this year.

P.S. Willks I saw PWEI at the essential festival in Brighton mid 90's fcuk ,me I though the tent was gonna fall down!

Fingers I think Waysted supported
Maiden in 84 that woud have been the Powerslave tour.As for Ratt with Ozzy 85/86 by the time he got to Leicester we had local band Chrome Molly who everyone inLeicester had seen a million times.
Now PWEI in the early 90s were one of the best live bands around.I sawthem at Leicester Polly with Compulsion and Blaggers ITA(my all time favourite band evan above Saxon) .What anight that was.

Scorpions supporting Priest this year was great! But usually im getting pissed while support bands do thier thing, whilst waiting for the reason i bought the ticket

:headbang:

paxoman it was there when y&t supported ac/dc at the queens hall (r.i.p now a car park) on the for those about to tour

Justice For All: The Truth about
METALLICA

Anyway, I didn't realise on March 27th 1982 Metallica supported SAXON @ the Whisky A Go Go (two shows starting at 9.00pm and 11.30pm)

Saxon played two nights and the first night they were supported by Ratt !

Fingers said:
Justice For All: The Truth about
METALLICA

Anyway, I didn't realise on March 27th 1982 Metallica supported SAXON @ the Whisky A Go Go (two shows starting at 9.00pm and 11.30pm)

Saxon played two nights and the first night they were supported by Ratt !

Yeah I did know that, it is quite amazing really! In the 'Garage Inc' booklet, there is a picture of the ticket for that gig, showing Saxon as headliners and Metallica as support. Some people might say that is the way it should still be!