Best way to deal with many guitar tracks?

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
Actually I'm in the middle of a big project and I'm finishing to track guitars.
There are lot of riffs so, to don't cut too much when I record, I divide the rythm guitars in more tracks....I explain..
Basically every take has 3 tracks: 1 DI e 2 mics tracks.
For example the first section is recorded in the tracks 1,2 and 3...the second one is recorded in the tracks 4,5,6...the third in the tracks 1,2,3, etc... I did this because I found it more secure..instead of cutting immediately the end of every take because you have to record the next one.
This should be not a problem if I'll mix this work, but it'll be mixed in a studio by another guy so I don't know if it would be a better thing if I join all these takes in single tracks (guitar left, guitar right,solo 1, solo 2,etc..) or if it's ok if I send different tracks for different sections...
How do you deal with this thing when you have to send your work to someone else?

I would consolidate them down unless there is an express purpose for them being on separate tracks. Sometimes it's cool to have the guitar tracks for choruses separate from the verses etc but otherwise it will just look like a big mess IMO.

I would consolidate them down unless there is an express purpose for them being on separate tracks. Sometimes it's cool to have the guitar tracks for choruses separate from the verses etc but otherwise it will just look like a big mess IMO.

true.
I see no point in doing that, unless you want the effect of a riff sustaining over the next one.

Do you know how to punch in?

true.
I see no point in doing that, unless you want the effect of a riff sustaining over the next one.

Do you know how to punch in?

You can fix that with a crossfade. Make the first take fade out longer, and have the second come in immediately.

The point is that if I've already recorded a section and I wanna record the next one, I like to start recording this new one a little before the "real start" (the begining of the beat), so I can x-fade in the right point in a second time and not "on the fly" during the recording. So instead of record over the end of the previous take, I use other tracks during the recordings

The point is that if I've already recorded a section and I wanna record the next one, I like to start recording this new one a little before the "real start" (the begining of the beat), so I can x-fade in the right point in a second time and not "on the fly" during the recording. So instead of record over the end of the previous take, I use other tracks during the recordings

that is why god invented crossfades and non destructive editing.

Comping is the key...
No matter if I mix the song or it going to an other studio. I always clean up and comp my master session in a logical/practice way.
So if you don't comp, you would feel like any "hot mixer" assistant opening a brand new session song before doing is job (100tracks and more kinda like session).:D

Yeah I thought the same thing. I'll clean up the session consolidating the various takes. I thought it was only quicker doing more tracks during the recordings

You don't really need track 4-5-6, you can do it with punch in and pre roll, those are there for a purpose.

Yeah I thought the same thing. I'll clean up the session consolidating the various takes. I thought it was only quicker doing more tracks during the recordings

Back in open reel day, have 2 studer A80 for get 48 main tracks wasn't uncommon while tracking. And you always had lot of comping involted.

Anyway I use punch in and pre-roll regularely....also on this project...but sometimes I did other tracks because I thought it was more clear....For bass I use only 1 track and also in many guitar parts.
The question was only about the best way to consolidate them for another guy.
Thanks to everybody.....I finished today with the bass.....1 week, 9 hours/day for the guitars....

Anyway I use punch in and pre-roll regularely....also on this project...but sometimes I did other tracks because I thought it was more clear....For bass I use only 1 track and also in many guitar parts.
The question was only about the best way to consolidate them for another guy.
Thanks to everybody.....I finished today with the bass.....1 week, 9 hours/day for the guitars....

My advice was only to have all the takes in one track so when you comp them you just fade them at the right spot.
Not that your way of working can slow you down, in the end you take tracks 4-5-6 and shift them up to tracks 1-2-3 and do the fades.
I don't get why is clearer to have different tracks, in the end PT is a non destructive daw, you can record over other riffs, but underneath you still have the original take (you can set it to be destructive, but this is not the case).
So I think on those guitars tracks, you're wasting time separating all the takes on those "groups".
Anyway getting back to the original topic, I always prefer to recieve tracks from other mixers comped together, it's just easier to work on.
Just pay attention how you cross fade on DI's, if you're not sure, just solo the di track, put an ampsim plug in and see if it's ok.