Mixing reamped guitars with miked tracks - how?

Potapka

New Metal Member
Sep 18, 2009
Belarus, Minsk
I need a 50-50 combination of miked guitars (sm57+stack) and reamped guitars (revalver) for my industrial metal project. Guitars are quadrotracked.

However, I notice that the reamped guitars somehow lag behind of miked tracks, no matter if i put 2 instances of Revalver on individual tracks or send those 2 tracks to a bus with Revalver there. Like they are a few ms late or something. Dry guitar tracks and miked tracks sound tight together, though.

I've tried the lowest Asio setting available (2 ms) and downmixing those Revalver tracks to separate tracks - there's still something mushy about them when I play them together with the miked tracks.

My system: Intel Core Duo E8400, 3 Gb RAM, Adobe Audition 3, E-mu 0404 USB.

What's the right way to do it?

Or you could measure the delay in your DAW and slide the latency tracks forward by the exact amount of ms to make up for the latency.

If you are not actually recording, the lowest buffer setting will actually work against you. When I record I set the buffer to 64 samples, when I mix I set it to 2048 samples.

So you want to RAISE the buffer, not lower it, when you mix.

If you are not actually recording, the lowest buffer setting will actually work against you. When I record I set the buffer to 64 samples, when I mix I set it to 2048 samples.

So you want to RAISE the buffer, not lower it, when you mix.

Important to know IF you're working in a DAW without automatic delay compensation.

Sliding the tracks over to where they should be together should solve it, as previously mentioned.

He did say that the dry tracks sounded tight with the regular tracks, which I assumed that meant the DI tracks sounded fine. I don't know that moving the wav files over would work in that situation. Leads me to believe revalver is eating some cpu and causing the delay.

He did say that the dry tracks sounded tight with the regular tracks, which I assumed that meant the DI tracks sounded fine. I don't know that moving the wav files over would work in that situation. Leads me to believe revalver is eating some cpu and causing the delay.

I'd assume there'd be more latency with the reamp tracks since there is more of a chain to pass through?

Without being there it's tough to know but I'd just print the revalver tracks so you can see what's up. I assumed you were getting plugin latency but really either could be leading in that situation. OTOH I think it's less important to get the perfectly lined up than to get the sounding good which you can easily do with a delay and your ear.

I'd assume there'd be more latency with the reamp tracks since there is more of a chain to pass through?

When he says 'reamped' it's not really being reamped with any hardware, it's DI tracks into the interface>daw>revalver, so apparently there's no reamp box being used, just the software. If it were a real hardware reamp with mics involved then there might be latency.

When he says 'reamped' it's not really being reamped with any hardware, it's DI tracks into the interface>daw>revalver, so apparently there's no reamp box being used, just the software. If it were a real hardware reamp with mics involved then there might be latency.

Doh. My bad. Don't know what I was thinking there.

you can use a sample delay of some kind to get them to match up, also waves inphase works 1000% precent KILLLLLLLLLLLLER for this it even has a little meter that tells you how much the two tracks are in/out of phase with each other, i think most of their plugins have demos you can try and there are some great instruction videos on the waves site about how to do the exact same thing with a bass amp/di