Emailing Tracks

VikingAxe

Jul 21, 2009
Hey All

So...I'm sending my guitar tracks to a studio in Europe, i'm in NY...and I have never done this before and want to make sure it goes correctly. And I have some questions about "bouncing" tracks. :ill:

Basically, I have 4 tracks, 2 guitars on each side (quad tracked), and I reamped each track with 4 different amp signals, which makes the rhythm tracks 16 strong. Is there a way in ProTools to bounce all 4 of those different amp tracks to one track, so its more organized for us, since I won't be in the studio when they track and mix the other instruments? And if this can be done, will it make the file smaller?

Cool.

Now, we haven't discussed it with the engineer yet, i'm not sure what recording software he will be using, but i'm guessing I should send the tracks out in wav. files? Will they have a problem syncing them up?

So, I'm sure the tracks are going to be a huge file. Will DropBox be able to hold it? Or should I put it up on someone's server?

Thanks...

what you want to do is (in pro tools) mix the 4 signals of each guitars until like the sound, they set the output of those 4 channels to like Bus 1 per say, and record that to a new track with the input on Bus 1.

Do that to the next 4 and so on and so forth... until you're left with 4 Tracks. then send those to Europe via YouSend it or Dropbox. make sure they are uncompressed WAV's or Aiff's. If the studio has a server, ask for their username and password and send them through there.

Will they have a problem syncing them up?
All tracks that are bounced or premixed should start at the very beginning of the session so they can be imported into a new session and everything will line up. Give any tempo info with the tracks so there is a reference for a click if needed. Also good to put multiple tracks in a zip or rar. folder before sending.

cool thanks folks...

btw...im soloing the tracks, and im hearing alot of little pops...any way to smooth this out or get rid of it? or should i not worry about it, will it hide itself in the mix?

depends what the pops are from ... if its from edit points and punch-ins you should have cross faded all of those areas before consolidating the track

unless they're really obnoxious chances are most of them will be masked in a full mix