Best way to record backing vocals?

Tuffsnake

HEHEHELL
Sep 17, 2008
Brazil
What is the best way to record backing vocals? Power backing vocals such as Children of Bodom, Hammerfall or Accept.

3 or 4 guys singing together at the recording room

or one guy each time, record the main vocal line, then the others a progression like a powerchord?

I've found 3-4 people at one time yields the best results. Has a more natural sound than one guy at a time. I actually recently recorded a band that needed backup gang-style vocals and I found the best situation for the time was have the 3 dudes in the room with about 5-6 mics anywhere from 3-5 feet away from them. This was after trying the one-at-a-time method. Worked out really well having them do it at the same time, despite the fact that they weren't very good at getting the deeper sound of vocals typically used for gangs. After some coaxing I got them doing it pretty well.

And since I had 5 or 6 tracks of them I was able to pitch some of them down or up, as well as offset a few of them to make it sound like there was more than one take.

As far as having them make a chord...if it works out then yeah, but honestly I wouldn't spend too much time trying to get it worked out that way.

~006

If there are harmonies, I always do each vocal part in a separate track

If they are all singing the same thing, I normally divide it up into 1 to 2 tracks.

I would do both though honestly, see what works best in the mix and sounds best. It is always better to have too much than wish you did it a different way

one thing i have noticed works best is if you get some kind of omni-directional mic (preferably a large diaphragm condenser) and have everyone circle around it. depending on the amount of people depends on how many takes, i've had good luck recording 4 guys with only two takes (hard panned). make sure they yell LOUDLY for it to work best!

It's hard to be sure from the way you descibe it but,
If its arranged sung backing vox that are doing harmonies then I record them separately to ensure best tuning and phrasing,

If its shouted group backing vox, gang chants like, then do it with a load of people around a mike, do a take, move the order of people and their distances and do another take, keep doing this until you've got the thickness you want. I find the more takes you do the tighter the later ones are but they are but less energetic and "live" too.

one thing i have noticed works best is if you get some kind of omni-directional mic (preferably a large diaphragm condenser) and have everyone circle around it. depending on the amount of people depends on how many takes, i've had good luck recording 4 guys with only two takes (hard panned). make sure they yell LOUDLY for it to work best!

this is what i do as well, sometime more than 2 takes to get that thick sound